Magnetization & Demagnetization any conclusions?

Does the furutech improve sound? Does a record have the potential to become magnetized- and how easily??
I am planning on adding magnets to the bottom of my platter and the top of my plinth to take some weight off of the bearing. Then it occured to me, am I going to start introducing a magnetic charge to my records and cartridge?
Anyone have an idea how far is safe for a magnet to be before it starts to influence other materials? At this point I have 4 3/4 between the magnet and the record.
Thanks
pedrillo
Hmm,my RD-2 does work on my CD's.Maybe I'll have to check out the Talisman,for LP's.Alot cheaper than the Furutech!
Our experiences match those of Rushton, Dan_Ed and James1969.

Our LP's reveal greater dynamics, extended HF's with less distortion and a markedly lower sound floor (more low level musical detail, ambient space information, etc.) This has been consistent across hundreds of LP's.

CD/SACD/DVD-A sound is also improved.

The gray scale and color rendering on DVD's are measurably more accurate, so the PQ on most discs is visibly improved. (Demagging can make it easier to see digital "airbrushing" surrounding some CGI images. As with any resolution enhancement, flaws in poorly constructed source material become more apparent even as the quality of good source material improves.)

IME demagging does not involve or affect static electricity at all. The Zerodust is still needed for that.

The improvements with the Walker Talisman are subtle, as Rushton reported, but always audible - although you do need to demag before each play. The improvement with stronger, AC-powered demagnifiers is notably greater and repeat treatments seem unnecessary to date (~6 months), much as claimed by Furutech.

If an LP sounds "bright" after demagging, as SirSpeedy heard in some cases, I suggest there's something out of whack in the playback system. Demagging does not add anything to an LP that would cause brightness. All it does is reduce stray magnetic fields that can interfere with the native magnetic fields in the cartridge. Distorting those fields alters the behavior of the cartridge away from what the designer intended.
If there are 'ferrous' particles in the pigments, they are rust (that is what gives the orange colour to the pigment)and NON-magnetic.
At least 'de-magnetizing' or magnetizing, for that matter, vinyl doesn't do any harm, which can't be said for cartridges.

Bob P.
Interesting that we know that 'demagging does not add anything to an LP that would cause brightness', for example, but we don't know why it works and, again, speculate that the 'demagging' reduces stray magnetic fields on materials that can't possibly have magnetic fields, not withstanding the claims made by the suppliers of the demagnetizers, that rust has magnetic properties.
Has anybody attempted to measure the 'stray magnetic' field? Use an unshielded compass. If it isn't deflected, then the magnetic field, if it exists, is too small to make any impression on the magnetic cartridge. If it were and we can't detect it, then why doesn't the earth's magnetic field disturb the magnetic crtridge - it is stronger, after all.
Of course, then, perhaps the orientation of the cartridge relative to the earth's magnetic field should be audible.
I haven't heard any difference in sound when my turntable is oriented N-S or E-W.
Perhaps you have Dan_ed or Dougdeacon?

Call me skeptical.

Bob P.