How did you get into vinyl?

I’ll start with my story:
The roots probably go back to the mid to late 90's when I got into the retro cocktail thing. I started throwing old fashioned cocktail parties with Martinis and Hi Balls and Manhattans and spinning those Retro Lounge cocktail mix CDs with Luis Prima and Martin Denny and Si Zetner, etc.

I've always been a classic jazz fan (Coltrane, Davis, Rollins, etc.) and been into the music of the Rat Pack, so this just became an extension of that. I then started collecting CDs of the artists that were featured in the Retro Lounge collections, along with classic jazz, blues and vocalists. It was very rare for me to purchase, or listen to anything recorded since the 1970s, though I do have a pretty good collection of 80s and 90s rock, it’s just I haven’t been adding to it.
A few years ago my live-in girlfriend and I split up and I gave her the furniture and took the opportunity to completely redecorate the place the way I wanted to- mid century modern or, as I called it, space age bachelor pad. I bought a bubble chair, Naguchi tables, ball clocks, Eames era stuff, etc., etc.- I even got an old pinball machine and bar. I was truly living in the 50’s-60’s.

Last June, I was poking around a flea market in Hell’s Kitchen looking for retro stuff, and I saw a Voice of Music HiFi console from 1957 for $45. I bought it, not sure if it was working, but knew it would look cool in my place. When I got it home it worked perfectly. I had picked up some 50’s/60’s lounge type albums from a tag sale for a buck apiece, just for decorations, and when I got the record player home, I found that it worked and the records sounded very cool. Now the VOM was definitely not audiophile, but it was all tube and these records sounded very appropriately retro on it. That was it- I was hooked on vinyl!

I started collecting vinyl in thrift shops and on Ebay. I noticed the VOM lacked bass, mainly due to the small single speaker that it had. I then saw a bigger VOM console on Ebay that had a 12”, two 8” and two 4” speakers. I got it for $250, and it sounded much better. I have an audiophile digital system that includes an Audio Aero Prima SE CD and top of the line Paradigm speakers, so I knew the limitations of the VOM unit, but I found it was all I was listening to because of the things that many of us love vinyl for- the covers, the ritual of playing the albums, the warmth and musicality of vinyl and tubes. I then got to thinking how great it would be if I built a truly audiophile vinyl system with a good quality TT and tube phono stage and amp. I also want to dig into the VOM and upgrade some components, like the caps, and check the resisters (I already done tube rolling with Mullards and Telefunkens).

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I got a VPI Aries 3, a BAT PK-5P phono stage, a Hagerman SUT, and a NOS Dynavector Karat 23R MC cart. I also got a VPI 16.5 RCM. In the meantime, I have accumulated several hundred LPs and remembered that I had a few hundred more albums that I had stashed away over 25 years ago! I plan to get a second tonearm wand for the 10.5i so I can put a mono cartridge on it.

I have now fully entered the insane world of vinyl, and could not be happier! Obviously, my taste in music (and all things retro) is perfect for vinyl. Besides the “Lounge” (sounds better than Easy Listening) LPs, I have purchased some essential 180-200 gram reissues- Kind of Blue, Time Out, Steely Dan’s Aja, etc., and have just subscribed to the Music Matters Blue Note 45 reissues. What I love about vinyl (in no particular order):
The ritual that goes with the playing (cleaning, turntable setup, constant tweaking)
-The covers
-The nostalgia factor
-The fact that I can play albums that I owned when I was in high school
-Shopping for LPs at used record stores, thrift shops, tag sales, and Ebay
-And most important- the sound!

Long live vinyl!
raylinds
I'm also in my 30's; we had records and tapes growing up, and I think for most non-audiophiles, it was the cassette that sent the LP into suspended animation, not the CD. We didn't get a CD player until 1989 or so.
One year I got a new shelf system to replace my ailing but great hand-me-down semi-separates (receiver, tape deck). It had a 3-disc CD changer. I took it to college, and my second year I bought a cheapo plastic TT from radio shack and ran it through this shelf system. I'll never forget the shock of that moment, that the vinyl sounded worlds better than the CDs. It sounded "unwrapped," if you will. So I always had a TT around, and a few records. I upgraded that table to a technics from the local used vinyl hut, which lasted me for years trouble-free (now spins at stepmom's house with a new stanton D70 stylus).
After getting married I started getting more interested in sound quality. I bought a Dual 1242 on CL for $20, sank another $80 into fixing it up and a new cart, found a broken NAD 3020 at the local junk shop for $10, had it fixed. The headshell on the dual broke, got an AR-XA, and well, that's a story for another day, but boy, it's been downhill from there...
In the seventies I used to listen vinyl only... and for a good reason... it was THE format to own , but nonetheless it was sometimes a frustrating experience. So i went into digital BUT never parted from my LP collection.OK cd brought us transparency albeit at a price :sound quality. Then I said to myself there would be one day when we would be able to play lp's with laser optics technology: even if this has now come of age , prices, servicing are extremely expensive and according to reviewers with only average sound quality.
Then I heard from the cheap pro ject range and tipped a toe back into analog with a new x-pression fitted with a shelter 201 cartridge, which was such a joy to use that I kept it only a few months and upgraded to a clearaudio with maestro wood sure not the best but with high quality nonetheless. I started rediscovering my vinyl bought a washing machine: now I 'm still in awe with classical german ARCHIV label recorded in the fifties for instance or the direct cut discs from m&k crystal clear , ew etc. Here in Europe used vinyl is abundant I just bought hundred of them for pennies (with labels ranging from decca to sheffield) . But men , almost nothing new to buy here (here in france nothing) therefore I got a few ones from acoustic sounds and music direct.
A reborn lover of vinyl and of the US squeezebox too!
I know a lot of people in this forum have been into vinyl since it was the only format (since before CD) and I often see comments to the effect that they are still into it mainly because of a large collection of LPs, collected over many years. I'll see comments to the effect "If you are starting now, it doesn't make since to go with vinyl". I very much disagree, as the chance to collect a large amount of quality music at low prices is a key reason to get into vinyl today.

I am old enough to have grown up with vinyl, had pretty low-fi equpiment, and learned all the ins and outs of taking care of records when I was a teenager. Flattening warps, fixing mistracking by tilting the turntable, weights (coins) on the tonearm. I built up a nice collection of LPs, mostly purchased used in the 70s, before I could afford good equipment.

By the time I could afford decent gear i.e. had a real job, my musical tastes had changed somewhat and I decided to ditch records and go with CDs in the early 80s. Over the next two decades I got rid of most vinyl (gave it to thrift stores) and built up a sizable CD collection. My turntable stopped working in the late 90s. But I never listened to music as much or as seriously as I did when I listened to vinyl.

I always missed the cover art and liner notes of LPs. I also missed shopping for used LPs. Browsing used CDs never does it for me the same way--with LPs you can examine the media, look for different pressings, look at the cover, find really unique, collectible recordings. I never seem to find anything unique in the used CD bins. Nothing to get excited about.

One of the main reasons for dumping LPs, for me, was that when LPs were the main format everyone used, it was normal (expected) that you loan out your LPs to friends and family. Everyone had a record player and everyone wanted to borrow your records. Inevitably others would not care about vinyl quality as I did, and they come back scratched, warped or with inner groove damage from a bad vinyl setup. This was frustrating and forced you to be either viewed as obsessive and a tightwad or to live with messed up vinyl. CDs changed that, as they were much more immune to damage from loaning them out (or your kids playing them).

How I got back into vinyl:

I wanted to be able to purchase the occasional LP for $3 from a local used vinyl shop, and purchased a low-quality Sony turntable, and a radio shack phono amp, about five years ago. It was the best turntable you could buy at Good Guys at that time. It played pretty much like I expected--I could hear the music but without much in the way of dynamics, and lots of surface noise. Nothing close to the sound of CDs, but I wasn't expecting much--just to be able to listen to some inexpensive LPs. Needless to say I didn't use it much!

About 4 years ago I decided to upgrade my home theater system (pretty nice at the time) for better 2-channel audio (which pretty much sucked on that system). I wanted to purchase a new DVD player that would also have excellent 2-channel red book playback. I was steered by a salesperson to a universal player.
Me: What does universal mean?
Salesperson: It can also play SACD and DVD-Audio.
Me: What are those?
Salesperson: Multi-channel music.

I understood this because I had the home theater setup and liked the idea of enjoying multi-channel CDs.

I bought it and later came to understand that the real value of those new formats was not the multi-channel aspect, but the high resolution. I then began a quest to acquire high-resolution SACD and DVD-Audio discs. This didn't last long as I discovered 1) these formats didn't sound better to me on my system (than the red book layer) and 2) I couldn't buy them in local shops even new, much less used.

I started reading about high-end audio on line in these and other forums, and came to understand all the ins and outs of hi-fi, the difficulties I was experiencing trying to integrate 2-channel audio with home theater, and amazingly, that vinyl was still the ultimate standard for high quality audio playback.

I couldn't understand how vinyl could sound so good. But I decided it made much more sense to invest in vinyl than in something like SACD, given that SACDs were expensive and in limited supply, whereas I lived near a number of good used vinyl shops.

I bought a decent turntable (MMF-7) and a creek phono stage, and my wife and I were both hooked. We both instantly heard how much better vinyl sounded even than the expensive universal player. Then I realized I had only a few LPs to play on it, and set out to remedy that. Over the last few years I have upgraded the cartridge to a Benz glider with an EAR 834P phono stage, a variety of tweaks, and vinyl sounds great. I had to start upgrading my digital setup because I couldn't stand to listen to CDs, and I have too many of them (and of course many not available on vinyl) to forget about them.

I have always been the type of person to like to listen to music seriously, like watching a movie--giving it my undivided attention. Given that, I never minded getting up to turn the record over, brush it, things like that. It gives me something to do while listening that doesn't require much concentration.

I've built up a collection of over 1000 records in 3 years, all cleaned on a VPI 16.5, and all with excellent quality vinyl (I have the patience never to purchase any with obvious or questionable vinyl). These were purchased mostly for bargain prices, compare to CD, and I have a great time browsing the "new arrivals" section of local shops. Some local vinyl shops have closed, but others have expanded their vinyl selections--overall there is more than enough to choose from. I probably have averaged $3 per record. Quite a number of audiophile/new stuff, but loads of $1 stuff in great condition. If a record doesn't sound good I immediately return it or give it away. I don't have to worry about my records getting harmed by loaning them out--nobody I know is interested in borrowing them.

I have a good method to transfer vinyl to digital (for the car or office), and the results sound better than most of my CDs. Lots of fun!

Roger
I'm really enjoying reading everyone's story here. I have to agree that the sound of vinyl, with a well mastered LP is far superior than anything I have heard digital, but it is the whole experience that makes it so enjoyable- looking for good cheap used vinyl, collecting the audiphile recordings, enjoying the cover art and liner notes, tweaking gear and cleaning the LPs.

I'm not out to convert anyone, though. If you're happy listening to digital and can't be bothered with the effort it takes to get into vinyl- that's great!
I bought my first record when I was 8 yrs old. Ever since I can remember I've been collecting vinyl. As other formats came (and most went) I continued to collect vinyl. I think we were in 3rd generation cd technology before I succumbed and bought my first CD player, a Harmon Kardon something or other. Can't even remember what it was, though I can remember that my first turntable was a Garrard 301. I decided in the 90's to sell my vinyl rig (I was becoming an "AUDIOFILE"!! LOL - and I know how to spell it...) Unfortunately I sold a Sota Star Sapphire for very cheap - and have regretted it since. However, for whatever reason, I kept my vinyl - even the first album and 12" that I bought (That's The Way Of The World was the first LP.) I wouldn't be surprised to one day learn that my music collection is worth more than my home.