Shipping a VPI TT, Arm & Cartridge. Help Needed

I just purchased a VPI HW-19 MKIII TT, an SME 309 tonearm with a Benz Ref Silver cartridge. I had my uncle in California pick it up for me. I am in PA, so it has a long journey and I am very nervous about the items getting here safely! He is near the San Francisco/San Jose/San Mateo area and I am wondering if there is a reputable hi-end audio store around there that could pack it safely for him or maybe even one of you guys could help out? Thanks for any help, Jeff
musky1963
Actually, if you go to the UPS store, they guarantee a safe delivery for anything they pack and ship. You might have to mortage your house, however it will get there undamaged, or they will get you another.
I thought about it, but it also makes me cringe to possibly have an 18 yr. old employee/trainee with multiple piercings/tattoos, taking apart an expensive TT with a pair of pliers. Probably wouldn't even take it apart anyways. Most people think of turntables as $99 nostalgia pieces with cheap disposable, snap in needles. Would rather stick with other options if possible. I realize they(UPS) will cover damages if they pack, but that is a ALOT of red tape and even more waiting. They might give me a hard time replacing a $2000 Benz or an SME arm.
The only other thing I can think of is to bring it to your friendly VPI dealer and have him send it... I have a Superscoutmaster, and even have saved the boxes that it came in. I personally would want to get it done professionally. I'm moving from NJ to Arizona in a couple of months. Eveything has to go including the Vandersteen 5A's. Trepidation....
You could try contacting VPI to ask advice about packing, possible disassembly, etc.