What exactly causes clicks and pops on vinyl?

Hello All,

I'm sure that this topic has been discussed before but I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information here in the forums.

Can the Illuminati tell me what exactly causes clicks and pops on vinyl? Is it static, dust, soiled grooves or a combination of the three?

How do you go about eliminating most, if not all of the noise? I have a very limited budget now (recently bought a home) and cannot afford exotic record washing machines - even the KAB device is a bit out of reach at the moment with yet another interest rate hike here in AU.

Budgeteers, I would love to hear your solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jan
jsmoller
Hi Eldartford, Was that Scotty or Spock that said:

"Any technology which is so dependent on perfect execution is undesirable. Good technology works well even when you abuse it."

):

Bob
Amazing with all the above descriptions the simplest one was skipped... Static
Static control is one of the biggest factors, no doubt I agree that the particles on the surface or welded into place from debree is just as much an issue, normally once cleaned and stored correctly 95% of this disappears in my experience.

If you have a lot of LOUD pops its most likely static, little surface noise and clicks is normally Debree which is only sticking to the surface due to Static holding it there in the first place.

So I guess containing your turntable cartridge in a low static environment, treating the vinyl storage with care, humidity, and possible little tricks like the Milty Zerostat guns etc... Sometimes will come into play for some peoples situations.
"When about to play LP, swipe it with an Audioquest Carbon fibre brush to remove static and stray debris." I'd almost say create static instead of remove it. How do you make a balloon stick to the wall? Those brushes create less static but not zero static. Seriously, try playing the record first then rub it to find out what it is doing. If you've never played a record without using the carbon brush, you really should try it. I'm sure I'll get a response about using it properly as to be grounded, etc. but it is very much like using a broom without a dust pan. Also, by the edge we mean not touching the surface at all, not picking up the LP with your finger and thumb. I think an earlier poster did not grasp the concept of the "edge".
Acoustat6...I am not a Trekie, so I never heard the Scotty/Spock statment. But it's so true.

This axiom was promulgated back in the 50's by a Japanese engineer, Tagushi, who was a disciple of the great American QC expert Dr Edward Deming. Post war Japanese industry, notibly Toyota and Sony, had adopted the philosophy, and look what it did for them. In practice I learned this lesson in my work on missile guidance systems. Back in the 60's our electronics had lots of precision components, many selected-value components, and even a few pots. Over the years, as performance requirements on the GS tightened up it became evident that, cost asside, it was simply impossible to meet them by using more and more precise (exotic) components in the circuitry. Today it is a requirement on the design of the GS that it not rely on components of unusual precision, and have no selected components or pot adjustments. This puts an additional burden on the designer, but in the end it results in a system having superior performance, and reliability.
Something else that helps is to avoid phono sections that employ any sort of loop feedback. A zero feedback (passivly equalized) phono preamp will tend to make less of the ticks and pops fed into it. I have seen it be the difference between 'annoying' and 'nearly silent' (in extreme cases). BTW most zero-feedback phono reproducers will be vacuum-tube.