Technics SL1200MK2 Cartridge Discussion

Hi,

I'd like to have a thread on cartridges that work with the Technics SL1200MK series tables.

I want to buy a Technics SL1210MK2 (the new black version from Musicians Friend) and need a cartridge recommendation. I am using a Musical Fidelity A308CR preamp that has MM/MC capability. My amps are Bryston 7B ST's and I have a pair of B&W Signature 800's on the way to replace my N801's. The MF Preamp is rolled off on top and the system is very listenable for long lengths of time. I'd describe it as detailed, but not too bright.

I really want to try the Technics table as it is relaible and inexpensive ($400 shipped or less for a used table if I go the ebay route). Please do not try to talk me into a different table. I had a VPI Scout and Dynavector 20x (High output) that I sold because I just wasn't using it. I'd like to keep this cheap so that I have decent TT available when and if I want to use it.

What can you recommed for a cart? I'd like to keep $160 to $200 as a max and stay lower if possible. Here is what I am considering:

Denon 103 (not the R)
Denon 110
Denon 160

Audio Technica 440 MLa

Shure M97xe

I do not know what carts work well with the Technics tonearm. I know that it is light and some threads recommend a Sumiko headshell for the Denons. What do I need to know here before buying a table and cart.

Thanks.
tigerwoodkhorns
I just bought Shelter 501 MKII, and mounted it on Sumiko headshell (it requires using auxillary counterweight).
It is so much better, than my previous 0.5 mV Grado Platinum.
Every aspect of music reproduction has improved.
I think, it's tracking better, as well.
Very higly recommended.
Regarding compliance- Shelter is a low compliance cart, and the extra weight of Sumiko plus the auxillary weight do compliment this cart.
There is a school of thought, that says- heavy tonearm is always better, regardless of the cart compliance.
I feel, that fully modded KAB Technics (mine has fluid damper, Cardas arm rewire, outboard PSU and RCA connect plate) can serve even fairly expensive cart rather well.
I'm also getting ISOPLAT mat and Audiopoints to replace stock feet.
Will report on the changes later.
Maril,

Can the Shelter be used without the flud damper and other mods or will it not be worth it (it is a pricy cart)?

I have the Auxilary weight that came with the Technics table. I also have teh weight that goes on the counterweight (I assume that it is needed here).

The other high value for the money cart is the Denon 103. Will it work well without the other mods? At about $150 it is pretty cheap.

The Shelter 501 Mk 2 works without the fluid damper but you owe it to yourself to put the fluid damper on as it provides the biggest improvement in the arm. I ran the Shelter without but after hearing my old table with the fluid damper on I probably wouldn't have sold my Technics. I used the stock headshell and didn't need the extra weight on the back of the arm, but with a heavier headshell the extra weight would be required.
The Denon 103 requires another 3gram brass weight on top of the cart if I remember correctly and the rear weight. The Denon 103's require a really good MC phonostage or a step transformer to sound their best as they are ~.2 mv, whereas the Shelter is .4mv and that's a lot of difference, plus you could get interference from EMI/RFI if you haven't used a low output MC, so remember you might have to spend more on the phonostage to get the most out of the Denon. The Shelter has a much more neutral presentation and way tighter bass, plus the Shelter has a better elliptical stylus and won't wear your records with it's 1.85gram loading versus the 2.4-2.6grams I think the Denon needs and it has a conical stylus.
but after hearing my old table with the fluid damper on I probably wouldn't have sold my Technics.
Do you think it would be competitive with your Clearaudio?