young and new to analog.

i'm 22, and am just now getting into analog sound, and was wondering if anyone in the baltimore/dc area could recommend a shop that i could find decent turntables. and suggestions as to what turntable to start with. with my current income situation, i'm looking to spend in the area of 300-500 bucks (if i get the job i just applied for, probably more) and i was looking at (based on reviews) that a pro-ject debut III with the speed box mkII would be a good way to get into the game. any other suggestions welcome.

also, as far as recievers, phono stage, and speakers go, i'm looking at those in the same price range, and have yet to decide. any help would be appreciated!

-chuck
128x128chuckelator
The amp question should be considered in tandem with your speaker choice. I would keep to the higher impedance with a relatively flat impedance plot and higher sensitivity end of the spectrum, such as a minimum of 89dB sensitivity and preferably 8 ohm impedance. That will mate well with tube amps and particularly single ended triode amps if you choose to go that route.

A good conditioner can make a big difference, particularly in high resolution systems. If you are keeping the budget low, it may not be a priority, at least at first. You can always add one later. My advice is always to stretch the budget on what you absolutely need, one piece at a time, then upgrade things like cables etc. later.
Klipsch Heresy speakers are GREAT for rock, GREAT with tubes, easy to pick up used and I save the best for last...cheap. You really need to keep this speaker in mind.
so i did get the job, and once my bills are paid off (and buy myself a new acoustic guitar) im gonna make the plunge!

so (and im gonna listen to them before i decide) i think im gonna go with the music hall mmf 7.1 (especially since i can get one here much cheaper than new), don't know yet about the integrated, and definately would like a tube preamp, possibly the bellari? and as far as speakers go, im just gonna go out and listen and see what i like the sound of best. my income is gonna be going way up in the next few weeks so i would definately be able to afford spending a bit more money to get myself started. the way i look at it, i am the type of person who is always looking to the bigger better things, so i want something that would keep me happy for a good long while. thanks for all the suggestions everyone, and if anyone does have anything to suggest further, please let me know!

-chuck
Chuck, there's a nice SOTA moonbeam listed now that you should consider snapping up...