vintage turntables?

i dont know, but vintage technics, jvc, and pioneer are the only decks ive had experience with, but they have a special appeal to me. it seems to me that theres all these super fancy turntables out there, and im sure they sound really great, but things like funk firm, the pro-ject rpm aren't the same to me. they're not what i picture a turntable to be. anyone else out there feel the same way? i think what it comes down to is the look. maybe i'm just crazy, i dont know. haha
128x128chuckelator
Ive seen a few of the denon's here on the gon and on ebay...i really like the look of them actually..and ive heard nothing but good things about them, i would definately like to check them out.
C: That's the MAN. Eric has such skill and knowledge besides being fair and honorable. He and his family are a real slice of ye 'ol balmer much like the folks i knew as a kid growing up near Govens . Right now he's working on SA-100 and an Advent. And, he gives you a hands-on free estimate.
excellent...if i have problems, ill definately take my stuff to him. i can't remember where i got his card from actually...haha, might have been one of the second-hand stores on 34th street when me and my girlfriend were looking for used turntables one day. does he actually have anything hes currently trying to sell? or does he just do repairs?
Chuckelator: As far as I know Eric and his Dad are not a resellers, but on occasion they assist a client to find folks that want to sell certian vintage electronic items. You must visit the store;the place is cramed will all sorts of ancient photo/audio gear. Hollywood Si-Fi film producers visit so why not. Call before you stop bye.

The question , for me, is "Are vintage turntables worth the trouble ?". My answer is sometimes and only rarely. Why ? Because most are flawed either in design or execution. For example the Garrard 301 & 401 were generally discarded in the 1970-90's. It was not until complete rebuilds with new pliths appeared on the secondary market('00-'04) the prices started to sore (ouch). At prices between $3,000-$11,000; these tables are no bargins rebuilt. Also, one needs to know difference's between a true rebuild and a dust off.

Vintage turntables come with a variety of noise and reliability issues. In my opinion, plastic plithed turntables all sound alike, as do most suspended and unsuspended. Same applies to direct drives. The exceptions are the wooden based Garrard # 92 and 100 (needs a lot of work) , the Maplenolls (lots of work and air driven) and Luxman Direct Drive Record Players and the origional XAR wooden base Record Players. I define turntable as W/O a tonearm and a record player as a complete package. The exceptions given a lot of TLC , properly damped with worn parts replaced can equal many of the Hi-Fi Tables. For plug and play buy a Luxman DD. They are built like tanks. As for receivers try a Marantz 2250b (limited ed. if you can find one); one of the finest ever built. The internet and AG offer the best chance to located a good working audio gear: The "Avenue" you get who's knows what.