Is it questionable to buy new popular music on LP?

With the new release's being mixed like crap does it still make sense at all to purchase Vinyl for the only slightly better sound considering all that has to be done to take care of it?, add to that the long play benefit of CD's its harder and harder for me to purchase new rock on LP. My latest dispointment was "Gomez, How we operate" as I love the album but it has no benefit over the cd I also have this across the board from RadioHead to most any new album, anyone else feel this way?
It all boils down to the mix, if its crap why bother with higher priced, lower convenient Vinyl.......and I hate that I feel this way more and more.
chadnliz
Dunk- Funny you mention Magic - Is it probably the worst sounding LP I own. I have found though that as I get my table better at controlling resonances, that LP sounds a bit better. Terry's song, the last cut sounds quite decent, given that it is quieter, and wasn't as heavily produced.

Last year, when Magic first came out I saw Bruce live at the Garden here in NYC.

I happened to pass by Jon landau on our way in, and I so wanted to ask him if what they heard in the studio was what hey hear on the final CD.
Unfortunately he was in conversation and my group didn't want to wait.

I just downloaded a flac verson of the CD (since i own the LP already) and will have to compare for myself.
I agree with Emailists. Magic has probably got to be the WORST modern day recording that I have on vinyl. Hollow, compressed, smeared and absolutely lifeless. Definitely targeted at the NO-FI Generation.

I too, wonder whether performers actually have the opportunity to hear the final mix. Audio enthusiasts do NOT deserve a recording of such low calibre. (sigh) AUD$39 down the crapper.
As a big fan of the local college radio station here in Rochester NY I bought The Format Dog Problems from the band's web site. I remember K-Tel making better sounding records! It actually sounds better on my car radio!
Springsteen has a long, long history of format-independent rotten recordings. It's too bad. I want to rock out, I slap on The River and boogie for two and a half tracks before I can't stand it any more. If you want to hear him at his best I guess you have to go to a show.