Intriguing world of Analog

I am an aspiring audiophile and have enjoyed the forum postings on Audiogon over the past few months. I am impressed by the number of people with such advanced knowledge on audiophile subjects and who are willing to share their knowledge with others. I have become intriqued with the seemingly complex world of turntables, tone arms, cartridges and many other itemes related to analog music. I've seen pictures of turntables having numerous tone arms associted therewith and I am curious as to why one would need multiple tone arms. Many years have passed from the day I had a record player and we would tape a penny to the tone arm above the cartridge to keep the record from bouncing off the record. I'm sure the analogophiles reading this post are clutching their chests and gasping for air at the thought of it.

Somehow I feel another obsession coming on.

If I wanted to make an initial foray into the analog world of music what would be a good starting point? Is there a turn-key solution where you purcahse a table, tone arm and cartridge in one fell swoop? I would be willing to spend from $1500-$2,000.

My current sysem is as follows: Classe CA 200 amp, Classe CDP 35 preamp, B&W Matrix 802 series III speakers, and a Yamaha RX Z11 AV receiver. My preamp has a phono location on the source knob.

Will I need a separate phono amp or can I use my Yamaha reciever?

Your help and recommendations would be greatly appreicated.
papajoe
I would sugest starting with used equipment. Your price range is about what I spent when I upgraded earlier this year and for my $$ I got a Series III Sota Star Saphire(upgraded platter) with an Audioquest PT-6, a new Pro-ject tube box and a new AudioTechnica OC9 cartridge and I've been really happy with the sound. I'm not saying that you should seek out this exact system,but it serves to illustrate that a) there are great well cared for tables here, and b) there are new components that offer really great value if you're not hung up on spending a lot of bread. A little creative thinking will get you a lot of bang for your buck.
Thanks again for your helpful comments. I have researched obtaining a Classe Phono module. From what I have read, it is recommnded that you have a professional install the phono module. I have contacted my local audio store and they will contact Classe to see if a phono module is availabe for my Classe CP 35 preamp. If so, I will be on my way. Next I will research the tables, arms and cartridges mentioned in this thread and decide. I have had good luck following the other recommnedations from Audiogon members and from purchasing numerous items from Audiogon members.

Joe
I also recommend vpi! They are easy to upgrade and sound good from the get go. If you need some inspiration see what I did to my table. It started out as a 40 or so lb. tt to a 430 lb. monster.
Since it is my baby I am probably biased, so take this with a grain of salt, but to me it sounds as good as anything I have heard analog, keeping in mind digital can't touch analog.
Pedrillo,

I viewed you tt. WOW! Is the entire table upon which the tt rests suspended in the air by a counterweight? This was quite a project.
The tt platform and the drive system sit on two surfaces that are not attached to each other, other than the belt that turns the platter.
The drive system rests on a shelf, the tt is suspended by steel cables and some bungie chords are used above that.
IMHO this is the way to go, the tt does not see any resonance from any surface of the room. When the music is playing at a reasonable level everything in the room resonates. By suspending the tt with cables the tt is decoupled and does not see this. Also there is a ton of weight, like about 200 pounds or more I forget the exact amount and that is just the tt part. The drive system has some considerable weight as well. The whole thing weighs 430 pounds!
I get better dynamics than digital by a long shot, in fact most that hear it for the first time think it's digital because its so clean sounding and dynamic.