Own a TW-Acustic Raven One?

Do you own a TW-Acustic Raven One? What are your impressions so far? What did it replace? How does it compare to the VPI tables; the Aries 3, SuperScoutMaster?
stickman451
the biggest difference was in the density of the tones and bass foundation of the music. the vpi has a much lighter presentation and to me a bit analytical but some might prefer it. vpi has a broad dealer network and parts and service is likely readily available. there's probably a dealer in your home town. the same isn't true for the tw line but then again jeff catalano and tw have excellent customer service. the brass armboard is a worthwhile upgrade and i have changed the millenium feet with bdr cones so the stillpoint upgrade is likely worthwhile as well. with a phantom or other top flight arm you're looking at a $9k combination though.
Speaking from experience.
The differences between ANY VPI table and TW Acustic entry level Raven One are miles apart, performance wise and built quality.

What VPI do very well and are probably the only record player manufacture on the planet that succeed in this, is repeat business from their constant upgrade path.
Marketing genius.

There is a SHOCKING difference comparing a HRX to a Raven One....No contest.
First thing VPI need to do ,is get rid of the motors they use and especially the silly RUBBER DRIVE BELTS.
There are many other glaring problems with a table at this price point.
However I'm sure future upgrades may address these also.

Stickman ,If your serious about analogue play back, TW Acustics would be a great choice.
First thing VPI need to do ,is get rid of the motors they use and especially the silly RUBBER DRIVE BELTS.

Stiltskin,isn't the Raven One using a rubber belt as well? Can you run the Raven with strings or tape?

The issues of belts is a controversial one. Both the Raven AC I heard as well as my DPS use rubber belts. The DPS has a different drive system with a friction bearing, that puts a constant load on the rubber belt and removes some of the belt problems.

Otherwise, I agree with the above - I haven't heard a VPI that can touch either one (owned a Scout, heard Scoutmaster, Aries 3, HRX).
I am currently experimenting with 1/4" mylar tape. I am quite surprised with how much more bass, microdynamics and increase in soundstage you get with this.
Ducatrider,

One might analogize and say rubber belts are the MP3 of the drive belt world: lossy. Mylar belts simply don't stretch and the economy of energy really shines through. There is an epiphany reached when hearing a table driven with a Mylar belt for the first time - it comes so much closer to 15 or 30ips open reel analog tape that it suddenly makes rubber-driven tables sound squishy and dopey, especially in the areas you mention: LF dynamics and control, microdynamic contrast and tone color.

I would never go back to a rubber belt driven table so profound is the difference. Good listening,

-Richard