VPI RCM Vacuum Wand Velvet Strips

Ok Folks, I know VPI doesn't sell these but places like Disc Doctor does. Still not very cost inexpensive if you ask me. And I'm in disagreement with mintlp's Yip's method of replacment, by Gluing on any such strips. Problem is, how do you then get these off when they are shot?

From what I understand, some manufacturer, which I thought it was 3M, who makes this material, but still web-searching has prooved fruitless. I would imagine this same similar material is also used on Mo-FI/Disc Doctor Brush Pads.

Does anyone know of a better, less expensive source for this material? I'm thinking at the right source, $15-$20 worth of this material should be enough to virtually supply everybody on Agon who has a VPI RCM! Mark
markd51
It is really interesting that you can't replace the velvet lips on the wand for the VPI machines. That seems somewhat ridiculous actually. Instead, VPI makes you buy a whole new wand for $25.
(Not very "green" of them is it?)

Wand for VPI @ Music Direct

Whereas Nitty Gritty, lets one buy the velvet lips (in a four pack) for $18.50. (And they are self adhisive on one side, so no glue is necessary.)

Replacement velvet lips for Nitty Gritty @ Music Direct

Assuming that you could strip off the lips that are on the wand, do you think the Nitty Gritty pads would work? (If you need the measurements of them, just email me, and I would be glad to email them to you.)

As a side note, I think I am glad I found a used Nitty Gritty before a used VPI showed up. (I was going to buy whichever showed up used first.) And based on my friend's records, who uses a VPI RCM, I really can't tell the difference between them. (Of course, I will state that I do hand clean mine with DD brushes and RRL fluid, and just use the NG RCM as a drying device.)

I have replaced the lips on my NG a couple of times already, as I tend to replace them about once every year or so. (The lips are the only thing that really gets dirty and needs replacing.) Based on this, I spent $9.25 vs. the $50 that I would have spent had I had a VPI.

Good Luck in finding a cheaper alternative to the whole new wand.
Thanks Kurt for your reply.
You gotta figure, at $18.50, why such a ridiculously high price for these?! Even silk from the orient wouldn't be so expensive.

I'll hopefully soon find the right source to this correct peel, and stick material, and will of course share this info with the audio community.

There may be differences between what Mo-Fi uses on thier brush pads, versus what VPI-Nitty Gritty, and others use on thier RCM's? Mark
Check your local fabric store for velvet ribbon. I got a yard a few years ago and have replaced the strips on my VPI several times. I removed the wand from the black piece, stripped off the old velvet and used an Xacto knife to clean off old adhesive. 3M double-sided carpet tape works well to fasten the new velvet strips. I cut it in half lengthwise with scissors, stuck it in place, peeled off the backing, stuck on the new velvet strips, and trimmed off the extra tape. I let it sit overnight before using, to make sure the tape was sticking tight before it got wet. Works great. Make a mental note of the position of the old velvet before removing, and the position of the wand in the black fitting.