Phono Preamp Suggestions?

I have a Sota Star table, with SME IV-VI arm, and a Shelter 90X cartridge. I would like to upgrade my current phono preamp (Music Fidelity X-LPSv3).

I am using the Denon Prepro as my Preamp, Classe CA-M400 amps, and B&W 802D speakers.

I would like to get something nice that is a good match for the rest of my system, for $1000-$1800. Used or new is fine. Do you have some suggestions?

Additional Info:
- The Shelter cartridge has an output of .65mv
- I am open to SS or Tubes.
- Currently, I think my system is pretty neutral. I would prefer a neutral phono preamp, or maybe something with just a very slight hint of warmth.

Darrell

dmccombs
The H-1200 retails around $1600 and the H-1500 around $5000 and the H-3000 approx $10,000 and yes, they're that good. I have tried many phono stages in the past 12 months...many big names where people and magazines raved about and none actually floats my boat until the H-1200 came around (on loan from a buddy whom also had many great stages come and go) and make me realize how live and magical my LP's could sound.

I ended up buying the H-1500(which I bought unheard). The H-1500 I have now has a certain magic and life to it's sound which makes it very hard to describe. People often associate equipment being warm, bright or neutral. The Allnics is none of the above. It's one word....."natural". It could be due to the LCR networks in the RIAA it uses which is very uncommon at these prices. The unit is very quiet with enough gain for my Dynavector XV1s and my Audio Note IO2v.

Lately, I have done a head to head between the H-1500 and the H-3000. If your source and system is capable, there is definitely an appreciable difference between the units.

Other phono stages that are value for money is the PS Audio GCPH which others have recommended. I have heard great things about this unit. More so of the underwood modded ones. Have not heard the EAR 834 in a very long time. The last time I owned one, it seemed to have a very dark and thick sound. I believe there are many mods out there (google) that you can do to make this unit sound better.

Lastly, if you're looking for musical enjoyment, the Allnic is all you need.
Genesis,
did you try to upgrade the 1500 to WE417a tubes and a mullard 5ar4? Makes a world of difference for the better over the stock raytheon tubes and JJ 5ar4 included with the \unit.
Agree with Genesis on EAR 834. It gave nasal sound on my pre - power tube amps set up, weak bass. I had one, deleux version, and sold it to a friend a year ago. It may be OK on the SS set up.

vichai
Cjfrbw, I have not tried the WE417 tubes yet. I did however change the rectifier tube with a Phillips miniwatt metal base and it made a huge difference. I am holding off the tube rolling and saving my $ for the H-3000 upgrade.
While I have been mulling over the preamp and phono preamp options, a friend let me try his Pass Ono phono preamp.

It was very detailed without coming off as dry or analytical. The soundstage was wide, and the instruments were well defined. It was a marked improvement over the Mobile Fidelity I have.

If I can try a tube preamp, I will. Then I will have a better idea weather a new preamp or phono preamp will be better bang for the buck.

Darrell