Phono Preamp Suggestions?

I have a Sota Star table, with SME IV-VI arm, and a Shelter 90X cartridge. I would like to upgrade my current phono preamp (Music Fidelity X-LPSv3).

I am using the Denon Prepro as my Preamp, Classe CA-M400 amps, and B&W 802D speakers.

I would like to get something nice that is a good match for the rest of my system, for $1000-$1800. Used or new is fine. Do you have some suggestions?

Additional Info:
- The Shelter cartridge has an output of .65mv
- I am open to SS or Tubes.
- Currently, I think my system is pretty neutral. I would prefer a neutral phono preamp, or maybe something with just a very slight hint of warmth.

Darrell

dmccombs
I had the same thoughts like you had before I got the 1500. Lucky for me, I got the 1200 as a loaner and all it took was 5 minutes. I could easilly keep the 1500 as long as I am in vinyl land that's why I took the plunge.

Now after hearing the 3000, I will try get more $$$ together to make it happen.
Genesis,
Please e-mail me with your impressions of the H-3000 when you get it. The 1500 has large room for improvement by using either the WE417a or the Amprex gold pinned 5842. I found the raytheons very detailed but somewhat bleached and body-less sounding by comparison.
I'm using the Allnic-1200 and I really like her alot.
There is one for sale on Audiogon.
You should consider upgrading the 90X to the new 9000. I used a 90X for 3 years and was surprised by the difference that I heard when I switched to the 9000. Made me think the 90X was defective. Cleaner, quieter, more involving. Well worth the cost of a change. Set-up easy; same VTF, same loading, same anti-skating. Plays nice with the K&K phono with 38 ohm loading.
John,

Thanks for the suggestions. You mentioned you ran the 9000 at 38 ohms loading. Can I ask what loading you used with the 90X?

Darrell