Newbie Analog High Expectations??

Good Afternoon,

I am considering jumping into analog with a my system. I have Magnepan 1.6s. I will be adding a Rogue Perseus preamp to use its HT bypass with my Integra 9.8 and Sunfire amp.

I am thinking of adding a turntable, must people agree a Rega P3 is the best entry level model. This will go along with my Squeezebox Duet. I want to buy classic jazz LPs and build a collection.

Since I want to buy used to save money, could I be disappointed in the analog sound compared to the digital I am used to? I hear everyone rave about LPs but I continue to be skeptical.

PS I didn't grow up with LPs. :)

Thanks for any insight
colleycol
I would be remiss if I didn't mention Kevin @http://www.kabusa.com He is a very good resource for all things analog and his modded Technics decks are a solid bargain in vinyl playback.
Unless you have a record collection or access to a nice selection, be prepared to spend a fair amount of money and time.

Second, vinyl is interactive. It requires ongoing fiddling, tweaking, and adjustment far beyond the initial set up. There's no way around that so if you are strictly a remote control listener, stop here.

Lastly, as a dealer I can tell you that most folks getting into vinyl grossly underestimate the investment dollars it will take to satisfy themselves. Not all, but most.

Good luck.
Good idea for modding a Thorens TD 160, if you are a tinkerer, mod it according to the analog dept website. $100-200 plus mods gets you a nice setup. I have a fully DIY modded Thorens and its pretty damn close to my Scoutmaster setup. This table is better than a Rega P25 I used to have.

Audiofeil is correct, if you really get into this, you are going to end up spending more money than you think. The table is only the beginning, isolation, cartridge, phono stage, records, it just goes on and on. You may be lucky and find instant contentment, but if you're a tinkerer/audiophile be prepared for a long journey.
People are suggesting modding an old Garrard or Thorens? They must be crazy. The man said 'newbie'.

I would go low maintanance, which for a TT is difficult. However it is a matter of degree. Maybe pay a Linn dealer to set up a nice LP 12 for you. That way you will be insured of a great table, and you will not have to sweat it out or even do much of anything except buy records.

My 2 cents: get a cleaning machine now, so you can enjoy cheap used LP's. Do yourself a favor and don't cheap out, get a VPI 16.5. It is the standard.
Chasmal, you must have failed to see that Cory mentioned he was a mechanical engineer and likes to tinker, ie. the mod possibility is offered. If he doesn't want to tinker get a Rega, VPI, or other non-suspended tt.