Subsonic Rumble Solutions

I know many of you have tried to address this issue. Short of buying or building a subsonic filter (that will/may negatively affect your transparency) - what methods reduce subsonics (meaning the pumping of woofers and subs when a record is playing)?

My system:
I have a DIY VPI Aries clone with a 1" thick Corian plinth, a Moerch DP6 tonearm and Dynavector 20X-H cartridge. This sits on a maple shelf. The shelf sits on squash balls. The balls sit on another maple board floating in a 3" deep sand box. All this on a rack spiked to a cement floor. The phono stage is a Hagerman Trumpet (no built in subsonic filter and very wide bandwidth). I use the 1 piece Delrin clamp on the TT. Yes, I clean records thoroughly and there are no obvious warps, especially after being clamped.

So my isolation is very good - no thumps or thwacks on the rack coming through the speakers. But if I turn the sub on I get that extra low end pumping on some records that hurts my ears. Mostly I leave the sub off when playing vinyl, but I would like to use it if possible.

There was some brief discussion of this on Albert Porter's system thread. I'm hoping to get more answers here.

So ... what methods have you tried to reduce subsonics that you have found effective?

Thanks,
Bob
ptmconsulting
I have bass cone movements every 30 seconds lasting for a few seconds. It is not really subsonic, but I think related to this topic anyway.
It is constant and audible with or without music playing but it only happens on the phono stage, not on the other inputs.

I have a Lyra Skala connected to a Lyra Erodion stepup and then an Audio Note M5 Phono.
The earthing is connected from the cartridge to the stepup and then continues to the AN M5 Phono.

The preamp sounds wonderful, but when the cone movements occur, it blends with the music resulting in clearly audible distorsion.

Do you have any idea what it may be or what I can do?
Nice thread. I stumbled upon it by accident. I'm posting since the last post is from April this year so I figure it's ok to keep it alive.

I'm with the camp that rumble/flutter/woofer pumping is part of the vinyl experience. If you don't experience it, then count yourself lucky. My setup is fine on paper but on certain records the woofer pumping was insane. It didn't seem to have much to do with record warps.

I think whether anything in the signal path causes a deterioration in transparency or affects sound quality is a moot point if your system is experiencing a rumble problem despite attempted mechanical fixes. The woofer pumping will have a much worse effect on the sound than a good quality filter that will relieve the amp from trying to reproduce LF signals that are not audible, and the woofers from unnecessary and stressful movement that with time will most likely cause damage. To me it's a silly argument to make. We're not talking theory, but practice; you're not listening on paper but with your ears and observe with your eyes.

For those who want a ready solution: get a KAB rumble filter. I got one, I'm in vinyl nirvana every time I listen to records, no woofer pumping, no distortion, no audible sound compromise; in fact, the sound has improved.
My rumble went away when I decided to change out my cartridge, which on paper looked to be a great fit with on resonance issues. I went from a Dynavector XX-1 HO to a Transfiguration Temper LO. I didn;t change anything else, but I can now safely turn on my sub when I'm playing vinyl with no excessive pumping.

Go figure.

Bob
Bob-
I am wondering, did this help with all you LP's, or just some. I know in my system I only have rumble on certain LP's. Also you say "I can now safely turn on my sub when I'm playing vinyl with no excessive pumping." Do you still have pumping?

Thanks for your insight-
This solved the problem on all the LP's that I have played since I upgraded. There is still some little movement on my woofers, but not the "huffing" that I was getting before very audibly on my Rel subwoofer.

And believe me, I tried everything mechanical, short of an electronic filter, to identify the cause of this problem and remove it. It must have been a cartridge/tonearm mismatch.

Good luck