Walking Into A Brick & Mortar High End Audio Store

I am currently pretty satisfied with my system the way it is right now. I am not in the market for any new purchases right now, mainly because I don't have the discretionary income to make big changes. However, sometimes I get the urge to want to go into a hifi store just to look. Eventually I will upgrade my speakers, cd player, preamp, a new dac for sure and may give class D amps a shot...but not right now.

Is it cool to go into a store just to look around, knowing you don't have the money or immediate need for an item?
128x128mitch4t
A far as B&M stores are concerned I can vouch for the store that I have been going to for 18 years or so and that store is Audio Connection in Verona N.J. It's run by John Rutan and I must say that I feel extremley fortunate to have access to an establishment like this so near to my home. It's an audio store like no other that I've ever been to. John is also like no other store owner I've ever encountered. He's INTO AUDIO! just like WE ARE!! Of course he runs a business that sells certain brands, etc, but he's a fan of the hobby and has been his entire life, with a wealth of knowledge about the gear past and present.

And also as far as service is concerned, he's bent over backwards to make sure that as a customer, I'm satisfied with the products that I've gotten from him. Just last week I had a tube blow on one of my Quicksilver Amps and he promptly called me after I texted him about it. After diagnosing an issue I had when I replaced the tube, he offered to meet me at the store, (Way after store hours) and take a look. I took him up on his offer and he fixed the amp then and there, and we then proceeded to have a listen and chat a bit. To me this an excellent example of B&M Audio Store owner that is there for his customers. John and his staff at Audio Connection are "real". It's a great place to audition gear, talk audio and even better, to be a loyal customer. That's all I am, a loyal and appreciative customer.
I want to know where you guys go to "waste" the salesmen's time, because I went into two B&M audio stores in San Francisco and Berkeley and could not get anyone in either place to talk to me, much less try to sell me anything. And, I was there to buy a phono stage! My experience with audio sales clerks is that they would rather listen to the gear in the store and chat with their fellow salesmen than try to sell anything. B&M stores are dying out and it is IMHO due to surly, pretentious sales clerks who couldn't sell ice cream on a hot day! My two cents.
Face it..For all intents n purposes , THERE ARE NO BRICKS NOR MORTAR LEFT IN THE EQUATION! If any exist, its only some money laundering front to hide the real goings on behind the scenes! Lol!
Good luck making a buck, as a hifi store otherwise