Antiskating .... The last analog secret

excellent condition
hardly used

no, I didn't do that :)

I think, there is a difference between Antiskating and the right Antiskating.
Calibration with a blank surface is not always the 100% solution.
What do you think?
thomasheisig
Kirkus, I have a couple of test records that I have no use for. If you'd like them, although it sounds like you already have them, I'd probably take $10 plus shipping.

I have never analyzed this with free body diagrams or whatever, but I'm pretty sure that the more accurately the cartridge is aligned the less those skating force magnitudes get.

As for crushing the dynamics with excessive AS, which is what the test records always lead to in my experience, to each his own. Maybe that does work with Linn. I haven't seen it work for any tonearm I've ever used.

I don't go to the extent that Doug does, but I have heard first hand at his place just how important those minute adjustments he makes are. There is no question that his method works very well. I also now how demanding Doug and Paul are when it comes to music reproduction. It is not an option for them to have a general setting and let that apply to all the records they play. Again, to each his own.
I have never analyzed this with free body diagrams or whatever, but I'm pretty sure that the more accurately the cartridge is aligned the less those skating force magnitudes get.
There's simply no way this is the case - the change in the skating force vectors is miniscule with changes in things like overhang, azimuth, and VTA. Now VTF, of course. But I absolutely agree with you in the sense that the more precisely the cartridge is aligned . . . the better the system performance, in virtually every aspect.

I have NEVER experienced a changed in the perceived dynamics when adjusting a well-designed (repeatable) anti-skating compensation mechanism, on a well-matched arm/cartridge combination. With some of the fishing-line things, I've experienced all manner of weird side-effects.

I HAVE experienced what you describe as "crushing the dynamics", but I associate this specifically with a arm/cartridge combinations with very low resonant frequencies, i.e. 6-8 Hz. I will admit that I have never really tried to tweek such a combination to sonic perfection, and I can conceive of how anti-skating adjustment could interact differently in these situations than in my experience. But I've always found that I prefer the performance of arm/cartrige combinations that resonate at somewhat higher frequencies, and tonearms with very accurate, repeatable VTF and anti-skating adjustments. And with these, my measured data the my listening experiences have a good correlation.
I am not using any AS and have gone as far as tying up the weight lever on my Triplaner with thread to remove that AS weight also. The result is better sounding vinyl with no audible distortion. The Triplaner Universe combo is a perfect tracking machine.

As Doug mentioned above applying AS restricts letting the cantilever have the freedom to reproduce all of the delicate sounds available to us on vinyl and hearing is believing.

This thread is a great one for vinyl playback improvement thanks Thomasheisig.
I've always used AS until today. I have set it the same as the tracking force, used the visual stlyus drop in the groove method, and just turned it higher and lower and heard some (small) changes.

Today after reading this, I just turned it off. I hear more texture and detail. Images seem rounder but more distinct...

I need to listen some more...but I am a little surprised (and happy) so thanks
In 1969 an in depth scientific/theoretical study was done on what they termed "bias compensation".It is still available for anyone interested for download in the members area of The Vinyl Engine.Anyway the upshot was that they determined an "optimum" level for bias compensation at 30% of your tracking weight.Here is a link if your a member.
http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=46