Reason for buying old/classic turntables

Could you please clarify why many people buy old/classic turntable from the 1960's or 1970's? Are those turntables better than the contemporary ones? Is it just emotion and nostalgia? I'm also asking because these classic turntables are often quite expensive (like vintage automobiles and wine). Recently I saw an advertisement for the Technics SP-10 Mk II for $3,000 and a Micro Seiki SX-111 for $6,000. You can also buy a modern turntable like an Avid, a Clearaudio or Raven for that kind of money. Or are these classic turntables still superior to the modern ones?

Chris
dazzdax
Sorry Normansize.

That's just plain incorrect.

With all due respect to your dad, you don't have a clue.

Yes, some of the vintage tables were built well but today's best tables are simply superior.

Using your words I say to you " HA, ha, ha, ha, ha ha ha ha ... can't stop laughing".

Learn a little and then start making some noise here.
Sorry Audiofeil, but I've got to respectfully disagree. Precision machining, especially for something as simple as a wheel and bearing has been pretty well sorted out to perfection for quite some time. I'll grant you improvements from materials, cartridges and associated equipment, but a wheel is just a wheel and there are some great sounding old wheels out there. I'm not suggesting that a lot of new equipment doesn't sound good. A lot of it sounds great, but I honeslty can't accept the insistance that new turntables have achieved some breakthrough in technology.

And I'm playing a record right now, and as best I can tell, the sound is being generated by a needle being dragged through a groove. "Mr. Watson. Come here, I need you."
Audiofeil sells new turntables that have to compete with the vintage units. That seems like motivation for bias.

And I do have a clue.
Can't we just get along? It's Christmas! Go spend time with family and friends, spin some vinyl!

One thing we can agree upon in this thread, is the fact we enjoy analog playback. Whether it's on a vintage, or a new megadollar table really shouldn't matter. If it works for you, so be it.

Merry Christmas to all. Hope each and everyone has/had a great day!

Bill