Yet another VPI 16.5 thread

I am considering buying an RCM and am looking at the VPI 16.5. I was looking at some of the threads about it here on A-Gon and I still had some questions.

As best I can tell this thing works by mannually applying the cleaner and the all the machine really does is vacuum it off? Is this correct or is there some other function to the machine? Does it have a resevoir for the used fluid that can them be emptied?

The one thing that concerns me is build quality. There are a lot of people who seem to have them long-term without trouble, but there also seem to be some folks who get them to find wires detached and other QC issues. Does reliability seem to be an ongoing issue with these things?

Finaly, would there be an advantage to spending a little more on somthing like the Sota machine which is a two-arm automatic application setup? The main disadvantage that I can see with automatic application is that it only pumps one kind of fluid, where with a manual machine you can easily use a multi-step process like the Walker system.

Thanks!
grimace
I have a HW-19 Jr. platter. Can it be fitted in place of the mdf platter? How do I do that?

Wendell
Gimace,
I use old platter mats, if you dont have any lying around you could source out similar material from a fabric store and make a couple to fit, or what ever.

The vacuum head will last a long time, inspect it every 1000 or so Lps.
Hello Narrod,
It probably could be done, but not without some substantial fabrication. Not to mention, would sort of be a sin, hacking up a Jr Platter to make it fit aboard the 16.5 RCM.

The stock 16.5 MDF Platter is .500" thick, roughly 11" in Diameter and I know the 19-Jr. Platter is thicker than .500" thick.

The 16.5 Motor-Platter Arbor's Spindle would no doubt be too short to protrude far enough through the Jr. Platter, and then be able to button up an LP with the Knurled Nut. As well, the stock Platter attaches to the Motor Arbor via three 6-32 Screws, which in my instance, looked like three self-tapping screws.

Other problems, would possibly be, due to higher Platter Height because of thicker Platter, now the Arm Wand is bumping into the side of the thicker Platter.

That's why I went with an exactly identical Clear Acrylic "clone" to the VPI MDF Platter, so that the stock Motor Arbor would be used, and that no issues with the Vacuum Arm Wand would occur. The other reason I decided as well to stay with the exact same Platter diameter of 11", was evidently Harry+Co had thier thinking caps on quite well, and I'll explain.

Often, when cleaning LP's, I've noted on occasion, that fluids can, and will dribble over the side of an LP Lip to the underside of the LP. (I'm only concerned when it is the previously cleaned side of the LP facing down upon the Platter.) With the smaller size Platter diameter that Harry smartly chose, these fluids then stay right at the Lip, and will not travel any further on the underside of the LP due to wicking-capillary action.

I then find it a simple matter while Platter is spinning to wick up this small amount of fluid while vacumming, with a small, unscented Kleenex.

The cost for fabrication-machining of my clone Acrylic Platter, was $50, plus the costs for the Acrylic, and Neoprene Rubber Mat. Looking back, the Platter mod was really not necessary, as one can easily change to a better Mat material on the Stock MDF Platter if one chooses. If end users should find they're dousing thier Platters-Mats with fluids, then IMO, they are more than likely using way too much fluids to clean with.

Of the mods I have done to my own 16.5 so far, I see the cooling fan as being the most cost effective, and the most beneficial. Next I would say would be a better Mat Material. A good Neoprene Mat that would replace the stock cork one should last indefintely, and IMO should proove to be a material that is a lot easier to keep clean. Hope this helps. Mark