Raven One Owners - Last Table?

Okay...if you're an audiophile then there's probably never a last one of anything!

Intro: (Please skip to "Where I'm at" if not interested)

I just joined Audiogon because I need a new analog front end. I'm a retired Locksmith hence, "Kennythekey." My first choice was Keyman but that was taken.

My first "stereo," was separate components that I built from a kit sold by Lafayette Electronics. It was crap but I got to use a soldering iron...I was a kid and I was hooked.

All this means, is that I have to save for quite some time before I can buy anything. My upgrade path is slow and my other components are about ten years old. Also, the soldering iron never made me an engineer so my ears are everything.

Where I'm at:
If you read my intro you know I have a slow component turnover rate. That's probably why I posted Last Table?

Components:
Besides the new front end, I also want to replace my CJ Premier 11a amp but that may take awhile if I buy the Raven. I also can't afford an arm right now with the Raven and would probably install my old SME 309. I plan on holding onto my BAT VK-5i preamp, McIntosh MR71 tuner, and Thiel 3.6s. I have a relatively small listening room, and the music that makes me happiest is small club live jazz and vocal.

Question:
Given my upgrade turnover rate and existing components, is the Raven One a good choice for me...a keeper...last table? I was originally leaning towards the Origin Live Resolution or Aries 3 before I found your thread and joined Audiogon. Additionally, where I'm at none of this stuff is available and I can't afford to travel for listening.
kennythekey
Thanks for the recommendation Jazdoc. I read the Stereomojo review on the R1 that indicated that the table was direct purchase from Acustic ($5,000)...that's why the great value. Has there been increases now due to distribution?
Ken
Last year I purchased a TW Acustic Raven One and now that I have lived with it for a while I find it to be an extraordinary table for the price.

I narrowed my choice down to two table builders, the Galibier Gavia model and the Raven 1.

The choice was VERY difficult, both tables popular by word of mouth advertising, both tables similarly priced and both are incredible buys, this was pretty much a common comment I came across in North America including over seas.

I wanted a table that would easily accommodate two tone arms, have separate arm boards, known to have extremely good stable speed control and easy to maintain.

What turned me off of some other brands at this price point and this is my personal opinion.

For 6 grand for a table and motor alone the plinth should NOT be made of mdf or plywood or any other inexpensive material that's available at any building supply store including coming with a acrylic platter and rubber drive belt.

The Galibier is tape drive, the Raven has a non rubber belt that was developed by Thomas Woschnick that could be easily converted to tape drive if you wish, some Raven owners have gone this route.

Either table matched up with one of the good tonearms available, cartridges and phono stages WILL astound most anyone.
You make good points Stiltskin...and now that you've opened it up to the Gavia, what factor(s) swayed you over to the Raven? The reason I'm asking, is that I just found out about Galibier and I happen to live in Boulder, Colorado.

If the two tables are that close...
Jeffery of High Water Sound the soul North American importer of TW Acustic audio and Thom Mackris the designer and builder of Gilibier tables, No doubt about it, both are stand up guys.

What swayed me was a simple telephone conversation that turned to non audio related stuff, Jeff and I have similar back ground history.
That's it....

Both tables share similar strengths that do not exist with many other tables.

Gilibier is in your back yard, however you should ask if anyone in your neck of the woods has a Raven you could listen to.

I'm a big fan of Jazz in general especially the Divas from the Golden Era, vocals have to have that elution they come from a living breathing human being, this is one of the many strengths of the Raven.
I took a look and the designs are very similar.

I also have to figure out a cartridge and phono stage combination but I have set aside some decent funds for that...if I use my SME 309 for now and hang on to the CJ.

After doing some research, checking out the threads, and contacting Peter Ledermann, I'm being hypnotized by the Strain Gauge. The 400 is just fine for me, and the system fits my personality of holding on to components for a long time.

On the other hand for the same money, I could pick up a very nice phono preamp and cartridge combo like the Whest 30.RDT and choice MC.

Any thoughts anyone?...and thanks Stiltskin.