VPI Speed Problem

I have a VPI Super Scoutmaster with SDS. Fabulous sound, had it for about a year. I moved to a new place about 5 months ago and have had it set up and working well for about 3 months in the new location.

Recently, I thought the first song on some album sides sounded slow, but as the album played a minute or two, all sounded right again. Now, everything sounds slow all the time, both 33's and 45's. I tried bypassing the SDS, though there is no speed setting on the motor assembly, so I don't know if that should sound right, but it sounds very slow and muddy as well.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong or how to troubleshoot? Any insight would be appreciated.
kthomas
And here he is, Dave's li'l buddy, Yogi and Boo Boo, Mutt and Jeff, Skipper and Gilligan, the two Lenco Heroes, who somehow can't contain their "enthusiasm" for JN to their own thread, but are following each other to jack threads that have nothing to do with LencoLove. Oregon, of course, is employing 12th grade playground sexual innuendo as a defense. Nicely done-you've proven my point about your silly 'Homedespot' group hug.

Sure, 'Oregon', I've read (some) of that thread-though I've never made it completely through an entire JN post (seriously-have you?) I used to think I'd learn something, but it quickly became apparent that 'Homedespot' is no place for real tt thought and interaction-look at the way you even ran Win, the consummate gentleman and actual tt exspert, off. Instead, it's a thread based on the born-again christian philosophy: accept our dogma, or go to hell.

But that's all fine-you've got your little clubhouse. What I don't understand is why you feel compelled to jack a thread that has nothing to do with your favored tt. You haven't seen me over at 'HomeDespot' trying to disrupt whatever the hell it is you're doing-how about some of the same respect for other POVs? Or does JN insist that you go door-to-door and hand out copies of 'The Watchtower'?

As I said previously-you're a laughingstock.
Without pursuing the laughingstock thing (readers can figure that one out for themselves), I'll say only that the thread began with an plea by the OP to understand why his turntable "sounds slow all the time." Seems to me that I'm not the one doing the "highjacking."

Now froth away, John.
Wow, DP, you can't even follow the intstructions for a simple experiment. All you calculated was the added drag of the stylus. You forget about the weight of the LP itself and the RECORD CLAMP.

Long live the rimm drive!!!!!!!!!! I'm running out and getting one. Boom, boom, gotta love that thumping bass power and Brit prat and drive. That's truly high-end sound. So listenable long term, never headache inducing. In fact, I shall buy a Naim cd player to sit along side and erase all nuance from my rack.

I'm so glad we conversed. Thanks!!
Here's what I did. I turned on the TT and let it run for 10 minutes or so. I
put on a record. I don't use a weight or clamp, so that's immaterial. I put the
10" KAB strobe disc on top of the record. I checked the speed of the TT
using the strobe disk and its light. The speed was dead-on at 33 1/3 rpm.
You with me so far?

Then I put the stylus into the lead-in groove. You understand, I hope, that
placing a 10" disk atop a 12" record allows 2" of record to
be available for this. I checked the speed again, with the stylus in the groove.
It was exactly the same as before.

Over to you.

Edit: I guess I should note, if you are unfamiliar with a Lenco, that its speed
is infinitely variable from 16 to beyond 78 rpm. Thus it is simple to adjust its
speed using the strobe. The TT is plugged into a PS Audio P300 power plant
(regenerator) providing a steady 60 Hz.
You have to check the speed over the entire playing surface of the record. Anti-skate force and drag will differ towards the middle and end of LP. That is why I use my ear to fine adjust, after using the strobe. Play an original LP and early un-remastered cd of the same title. It should not be hard for you find an early cd that used the exact LP master. Sync the sound and see if they track each other perfectly thru the entire side. Look, I'll throw you a bone, you convinced me to some extent. A rimm drive may indeed hold the speed more accurately. But I find constant prat and bass drive to be very distracting to say the least.