Senior Audiophiles - Audiophile since the 60-70's?

How many Senior (true) Audiophiles do we have here since the 70's or prior?

What was your favorite decade and why?

What are your thoughts of the current state of Audio?

Would you trade your current system for a past system?
brianmgrarcom
Theloveman:

Actually, marketers discovered convenience's marketability with the cassette tape. Audiophiles from that era forget the advice that we were given at the time. We were actually advised to make cassette copies of LP's for most of our listenting, as LP's scratched too easily. LP's were to be saved for those special critical listening sessions.

It was just that cassettes, especially prerecorded ones, were just so bad. Every LP purchase was essentially a double one. You purchased both the LP and a high quality blank tape for the backup copy.

Cassettes though still kept alive the idea of audio as a hobby.

If CD's represent anything, it is the end of audio as a hobby. The technology of sound medium is what the story is, not the equipment. CD's and technology, in general, also represented women taking more of an interest in audio. Prior to that there would be audio magazine articles on how women's hearing was skewed to the treble end of the spectrum and men preferred the lower registers. Women who dig technology, the convenience it brings, and the integration into the home are a major group now for manufacturers to satisfy.

I left LP's behind quite awhile ago, because they weren't worth the bother. I really like turntables, not the warped, noisy medium that was played on them. I do miss the pageantry of buying and unwrapping a new album though and looking at the artwork, etc. CD's don't engender any real satisfaction in that regard.

Be well,

Rich
Lord, I had totally forgotten this thread. At 78, I'm still buying hardware, software, tweaks and cables like there's no tomorrow.

Maybe there isn't :-(
I hope that I can make that statement when I am 78. I will feel blessed to just make it to 78.
the only thing I miss about the sixties and seventies is the great audio dealers,who would let you try out equipment,help you set it up without charging you hundred $,and make you feel they are doing you a great favor.I do not miss the LPs at my age if I had to get up every 20 minutes to change record I may live longer because of that exercise but I just would not bother.Nor do I miss the tuning of the arm and cartridges nor the expense of wiping out the styluses.I beleive our memory deceives us the rate of improvement in audio in the sixties by marantz,mac ,JBL,Bozak followed by levinson was so impressive that we believed it was the best equipment today the rate of improvement is very slow and incremental at best that we tend not to appreciate how good audio equipment has become.I have to admit that I still try to improve on the quality of the reproduction by wasting money on the latest of whatever,but it is more out of boredom on no financial constraints.But once you cross into the seventh decade of your life you might aswell try enjoy every moment.