Senior Audiophiles - Audiophile since the 60-70's?

How many Senior (true) Audiophiles do we have here since the 70's or prior?

What was your favorite decade and why?

What are your thoughts of the current state of Audio?

Would you trade your current system for a past system?
brianmgrarcom
Ferrari, I have quite a few original 6 eye, Verve, Blue Note and other old record labels in my collection.

The new issues from Speaker Corner in Germany, Music Matters Jazz (Blue Note), Acoustic Sounds (Chad and AcousTech) and many of the projects Steve Hoffman is involved with are all stunning compared to the old stuff.

Also, many modern releases by artists like Kate Bush, Farben, Roger Waters, Bjork, Radiohead, Daniel Lanois and the like are Japan or Euro pressings (at least the ones I buy). I play these modern artists on vinyl along side my original (very old) LP's and for the most part, the new ones are superior.

Considering price, the new stuff is a steal. The new Blue Note 45 RPM releases (THIS week) is $50.00 in a 24 pound gatefold color jacket with original photography by Francis Wolf. Try buying a pristine Blue Note of a hot Jazz name for that and you'll have no software at all.

Some of the Blue Note titles being released are hundreds of dollars (if you could find a first press at all).

I'm happy with the state of things, my system has never been better, my LP's have never been so quiet. Maybe it's the Walker.
Albertporter we agree to disagree on vinyl. Have far more years in saddle. Please don't even menetion Speaker Corner product with any mention of sanity. I have some of those pressings, well did have, could not wait to ditch them, the absolute worse pressings I have come across, when compared to the original pressing. Music Matter and Acoustic Sounds I cannot comment on, as I have not as of yet heard them. There is no substitute for an original pristine issue. Its kinda like do you want a Picasso or a copy? I do applaud some of the new kids on the block for trying and doing their best in pressing vinyl today. They have come a long way, but have miles to go for the most part. As for me I have given up the so called audiophile pressings, unless reviews of such come from unimpeachable sources, with credentials to match. It is indeed sad to see what has happen to the Norman Granz Verve catalog. In many ways thank God he is no longer around to see what has happen today with the reissues of dubious quality. He would never have released the dreck we have today. But then again we no longer have the Norman Granz or Alfred Lion of today, only pretenders and few contenders.
Albertporter we agree to disagree on vinyl. Have far more years in saddle. Please don't even menetion Speaker Corner product with any mention of sanity. I have some of those pressings, well did have, could not wait to ditch them, the absolute worse pressings I have come across, when compared to the original pressing.

Interesting, the blues LP's of Howling Wolf and Little Walter are so much lower distortion and so much better dynamics on the Speaker Corner over the original Chess, I thought they must have found a newer version of the masters. Also the Sarah Vaughn Speaker Corner is stunning, every bit as good as the original on my system.

Certainly the tonal balance of the two are different as the represses are done with modern equipment. Generally more highs, but clean.

When you say a few more years in the saddle, are you referring to age? If yes, we can't be too far apart or your hearing would be in question :^).
Oh, hell my hearing is always in question at 65. Putting up with all the artist and corprate butt drafters at CBS and later on TV Guide. It's a friggin miracle I have any hearing at all, and of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Other than that I am doing well, I think. But then again I would have to find my brain to be certain.

Although we disagree on many levels, nonetheless enjoy the music. For me in the final analysis it has always been about the music we all enjoy.
Agree Ferrari, the music is all that matters and the only reason for the equipment in the first place.

Happy New Year, come tomorrow night for our regular Tuesday night music session and I'll pour whatever drink you like. Then we can find some of your favorite music in my collection and we can all enjoy ourselves.