Sme arm "Bridge Removal"

Hello,

Just a query, hopefuly someone can shed some light.
I have seen a few references of the bridge being removed fom the sme 1v and v arms, apparently bringing about greater resolution..?

Anyone experimented with this?
Cheers
sme10
The Bridge Removal indeed refers to the brigde across the main bearing.

To understand why this has a sonic effect, one should know that the bearings are preloaded very high with SME IV,V,309 tonearms (and their siblings). And then the vertical bearing is very sensitive sonically, a lot more than than the horizontal bearing, in my experience. If you remove this bridge, you lower the preload, and thus gain treble air and lose some harshness. But, at the same time, you lose some bass power. From what I have tried, it is best to losen the screws of the bridge, then retighten it again. With this you lower the preload, but don't lose much bass power.

best regards, Hartmut
Dear Hartmut: Thank you for your info, everyday is a learning one.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Hartmut -- could you please explain what 'preload' means (in terms of the mechanism itself.) Sounds interesting.
Hello Hartmut,

Thanks for the info, ideed this is the bridge!
Do you know if toying with the bearing presure can bring about adverse affects?

Or can one remove the bridge and replace it with caution, but with out serious risk?
A few guys over on vinylasylum raved over this tweak..
Also Kevin @ http://www.definitiveaudio.co.uk/ recomends this, check the pics.

Thanks
James
James, I've heard about this to. I have been way to chicken to try it. Even loosening the screws make's me a little queesy...