Sme arm "Bridge Removal"

Hello,

Just a query, hopefuly someone can shed some light.
I have seen a few references of the bridge being removed fom the sme 1v and v arms, apparently bringing about greater resolution..?

Anyone experimented with this?
Cheers
sme10
James, I've heard about this to. I have been way to chicken to try it. Even loosening the screws make's me a little queesy...
No need to worry about removing the bridge. I have spoken to SME about this and it is totally cosmetic. However I have tried it and prefer the sound with it in place.

Jonathan UK
After reading all the discussion I could find on AA, the overwhelming consensus seem to fall into the "no difference" or "very little difference" results. Maybe different cartridges respond to the alteration differently? Personally, I prefer to avoid that twilight zone ;-)

I also find the "totally cosmetic" response from SME confusing: if it's totally cosmetic, why so much caution about getting the torque on the bolts just right, etc.?

I wish I could understand better the relationship between this 'bridge' and the vertical(?) bearing (would that be the one that sits crosswise and allows the arm to move up and down?) before I try this tweak; perhaps SME would issue proper instructions for this procedure if requested?
James,

as far as I know, there are no adverse effects when trying the Bridge Removal. You can remove the bridge, then reinstall it, and as a bonus, you have relieved some pressure from the vertical bearings (yes, those are for up and down movements of the armwand). There is enough bearing preload in the SME V tonearm, so you need not fear of bearing play.

best regards, Hartmut
Hello Guys,
have removed my bridge...

And after a good few months, can conclude it is a vast improvement (at least to my ears).
The treble extesion is increased, and there is a more liquid feel to the presentaion.
It really is quite a change, and highly recomend one trying it.
Cheers