Tracking error distortion audibility

I recently unpacked my turntable from a couple of years of storage. It still sounds very good. Several times during playback of the first few albums I literally jumped from my chair to see which track was playing as it sounded so great. After a while I realized the "great" sound was always at one of the "null" points. They seem to occur at the approximately the proper place (about 125mm from spindle) and near the lead out groove. Questions:
Is this common? I have improved the resolution of my system since the table's been in storage but I don't remember hearing this before.
All others geometric sources of alignment error not defined by the null points (VTA, azimuth etc.) are essentially constant through out the arc correct? If so they should cancel out. I assume the remedy is a linear tracking arm but I am surprised at how obviously better the sound is at these two points.
Table - AR ES-1, Arm - Sumiko MMT, Cart. - Benz Glider, Pre - Audible Illusions, Speakers - Innersound electrostatic hybrid
Do linear arms really sound as good across the whole record as I hear at only the nulls with my set-up?
feathed
Maybe one of the " weird " tonearms ( on stylus alignment ) was the SAEC 506/30: the builder specs are 295mm on effective length with 9mm on overhang ( many trouble with some cartridges because to achieve 9mm there is almost no space in the SAEC headshell for the cartridge connector pind and the headshell wires. ), where the pivot to spindle distance is 286mm.

Well if we run Baerwald with that EL ( 295mm ) then we have an overhang of 13.8mm that give us a pivot to spindle distance of 281.2mm.

I wonder why SAEC made this compensation ( 5mm ) with the whole numbers where they choose the overhang of 9mm that was a pain for say the least?

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Raul, I will set up - for a friend of mine - a SAEC-506/30 in two weeks - mid May. I will have some news and geometrical details after I have done so. If anyone interested, I will gladly supply all findings.
Other SAEC the WE8000/ST has 13mm with 302mm in EL as manufacturer specs but through Baerwald/Lofgren calculations we have: 13.5mm/13.9mm on overhang.

So I think that the SAEC owners could try those overhang calculations on it and in the the model 506/30: 13.8mm in overhang and 281.2mm on pivot to spindle distance.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Hello to everyone,

A few facts that proove some of the above wrong or, at least, serve as food for thought.

Actual Lyra cartridge measurements, mounting hole to stylus:
Dorian: 10mm
Helikon: 8mm
Titan: 9,5mm
Olympos SL: 9,3mm

Other examples showing that there was never a "norm":
Clearaudio Insider Ref. Wood: 8mm
EMT JSD6: 10mm
Koetsu Black Gold Line. 10,8mm
Decca Maroon: 11mm
Denon DL102: 12mm

I have encountered anything from 6 to 13mm(9,3mm the average so far)...

It is not true that the sonic difference between an arm of 9" vs 12" eff. length is solely attributable to the reduced tracing error related distorsions if the arm cartridge resonance with a specific cartridge is identical.
Simple proof: They will sound different even at the null points.

Some reasons for perceived(and measurable) differences in well known arms:
Higher load(reduced bearing "chatter") on the (knife edge)arm bearings(SME 3009 vs. 3012) due to larger counterweight mass.
Energy storage and release differences due to heavier counterweight on longer arm.
Torsional and bending stiffness reduced on longer arm since most manufacturers maintain the armtube diameter and wall thickness on their 12" arms, i.e. Moerch(likely for aesthetics and/or cost saving).
Consequently, the resonance spectrum(as in "ringing", not fundamental arm cart res.) of the longer arm differs from that of the shorter arm.

It makes no qualitative difference whether one approaches the choice of tonarm geometry from the eff. length or the pivot to spindle distance. The clear advantage of changing the pivot to spindle distance to adjust overhang is simply that one doesn't need to readjust VTF. There is also no risk to accidentally "turn" the cartridge while moving it forward or backward in the slots or while tightening the cartridge screws.
A mechanism allowing for the change of arm position(p-s distance) à la SME, LaLuce or my own is simply harder to produce than a slotted headshell. BUT(!!!), if one chooses this geometry alteration scheme, one also HAS to allow for changing offset angle, albeit within a very small range. Typically there is enough "slack" between cartridge screws and headshell holes for that and a separate, "turning" cartridge mounting plate offers even more room for adjustment.

The best protractor is the one that, for an individual, repeatedly results in an alignment close to perfect. So it is not a question of which protractor, but which person uses it(as long as the protractors are otherwise geometrically correct).

There is no "universally perfect" tonearm alignment. For each record, one perfect alignment exists, defined by the actual used/grooved area. To find the best compromise for YOU, you just need to examine/measure all of your records to come up with an average figure which will differ from IEC or DIN standard.

Many "old school" arms were used to play back singles and transcription discs at broadcast stations. The often questioned choice of an inner Null point near or at the LP "end" groove(r=53mm) makes sense when you want to playback singles(end groove r=48mm) without excessive tracing error related distorsions. Not recommendable if you sold all your singles at a yard sale years ago...

Bob Grahams pivot to spindle jig and hinged overhang gauge work well if you achieved what he wants you to achieve. But if your pivot to spindle distance is off due to poor machining skills(I've seen this more than once)you are repeating the resulting mistake with any new cartridge that you are mounting. Any maybe you have a different idea about the best alignment...

Any cartridge can only perform optimally if the alignment is as close to perfect as possible. In reality cartridge cantilevers/stylii are rarely at 90° angle to a line connecting the mounting holes. Any arm that doesn't allow for at least 2° of offset angle variation/alteration may limit the cart's performance. Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate sloppy cartridge manufacturing, but reality equals imperfection. And as cart suspensions age or with too much skating compensation, the problem gets worse.
Same for Azimuth...

The original question was never addressed. Do linear arm sound better across...
Short answer: yes, but only if you compared two otherwise identical arms. No commercial examples exists, so that debate is pointless.

Let me repeat that it is not correct to say that a tonearm has to have a fixed pivot to spindle distance to be regarded as having a "correct" geometry. If the arm features the required provision to alter the offset angle, it's just as "correct". It will have a "nominal" eff. length, the actual eff. length being a function of the cartridge in use. Arc protractors and Graham style alignment gauges(as good as they are)are therefore out...

One could derive a question from this thread's headline which is directly related to the original post:

What is the threshold for the audibility of tracing error related distorsions? - and: How "tolerant" are the various stylus profiles as tracing error increases?

Time for dinner...

Cheerio,

Frank