Tracking error distortion audibility

I recently unpacked my turntable from a couple of years of storage. It still sounds very good. Several times during playback of the first few albums I literally jumped from my chair to see which track was playing as it sounded so great. After a while I realized the "great" sound was always at one of the "null" points. They seem to occur at the approximately the proper place (about 125mm from spindle) and near the lead out groove. Questions:
Is this common? I have improved the resolution of my system since the table's been in storage but I don't remember hearing this before.
All others geometric sources of alignment error not defined by the null points (VTA, azimuth etc.) are essentially constant through out the arc correct? If so they should cancel out. I assume the remedy is a linear tracking arm but I am surprised at how obviously better the sound is at these two points.
Table - AR ES-1, Arm - Sumiko MMT, Cart. - Benz Glider, Pre - Audible Illusions, Speakers - Innersound electrostatic hybrid
Do linear arms really sound as good across the whole record as I hear at only the nulls with my set-up?
feathed
Hello Axel,
Believe me, I'm anal about cartridge alignment...
If the generator isn't mounted dead center inside the cartridge housing and you can't shift it by 0,3mm, then you'll have to rotate it and slide it forward or backward, depending on the generator being closer to the right side or the left side of the cartridge body.

BUT, the magnitude you described will cause an error so small as to make it near impossible to correct for it reliably and repeatably.

As an example, let's assume your cartridge generator is so far offset(sideways) that it causes the actual offset to be reduced by 0,5°(a larger figure than what can possibly result form generator displacement). Your eff. length is shorter than "normal"(let's say, by 0,3mm), if you have that cart mounted in an arm with fixed holes.

Here's what you get(SME V specs as a base):

Unaltered:
eff.L.: 233,15mm, Null points 66 and 121, average distorsion 0,42%
Now it gets interesting: distorsion at 61mm(inner groove area): 0,54%

Reduce the offset due to shift by 0,5°:
eff. L.: 233,15mm, Null points 71,4 and 111,8mm, average distorsion 0,389%
Distorsion at 61mm: 0,95%%

Additional compensation of eff. length due to shift, -0,3mm:
eff. L.: 232,85mm, Null points 71,8 and 111,1mm, average distorsion 0,393%
Distorsion at 61mm: 1%

Draw you own conclusions...

My take on this: Most people can make out a 0,3mm difference when aligning a cartridge. VERY few can tell the offset angle(sometimes referred to as "zenith") being off by any less than 1-2° !
It's the inner groove area where this really comes into play.

Cheers,

Frank
Hello Dertonarm,
Since my record collection numbers about 10000 with more than 60% being classical(and about 1/2 of those dating to 1965 and earlier), I know exactly what you are talking about.
I chose singles as an obvious example to make a point about tonearms used on broadcast turntables.

Yes, the IEC norm exists(the AES merely recommended it), but, as you said, was never universally adapted. We just have to deal with what's in existence. TP4 as a norm wasn't that big a success and a norm for 1/2" mount carts would limit cartridge designers in the future. If everyone would agree on a reasonable range for several cartridge dimensions, not just the mounting hole to stylus distance, but i.e. the height of the cart too, the consumers might be benefitting from it.

You are comparing yourself with Galileo? I hope you're not implying we're all out to crucify you , yet still live in the dark ages.
I for one like a civilized discourse, but not ego battles. So please come back anytime..

The remark about "increasing sales" is inappropriate and unfounded. If you have something to say, say it straight.

Ein schönes 1.Mai-Wochenende wünscht

Frank
Hi again,

Dertonarm:
"Dear all, after we have now learned that finally all parameters of the tonearm geometry are variable, nothing can stop us now entering analog heaven."

Yup, if your tonearm offers the key parameters to be varied, you can indeed implement standard alignments(B,L,S) or even move the Nullpoints according to your own preferences(better do the math first...)

"If any of you will still suffer inner groove distortion....... well, don't worry that happens. Move your tonearm, rotate the cartridge. If it distorts now at the run-in grooves? Hey - be flexible. Times may be hard, but modern."

Cynicism doesn't help. Applying math does.

Best,

Frank
Dear Berlinta, it is very difficult to say something "straight", if your post is not approved by the moderator and therefor never actually posted (which happened with several of my posts in the dispute about the turntable drives when I was "against the gang" - thats why I moved out of that discussion).

Galileo was an analogy of course, as were the windmills - but I think my point is clear.

For many small audio business today the online forums are the best way to marketing their product(s).
To do so, they must maintain their status of authority in the segment of the audio market their product is located.
This is legitimate - of course.
When this status is endangered in any way, it becomes an ego battle very soon - quod erat demonstrantum in the discourse about the bearing friction which became a dispute about turntable motor drives in general.
Dear Raul, you are right.
Maybe its just one dogmatic ego which can't stand his mirror image......
I just do not see the term democratic transferable to the world of physics, mechanics and geometry.