10 Great Classical LP's

Asking, not telling. Any suggestions? I'm a middle-aged guy, but have just started listening to classical and am looking for suggestions. Thank you.
jhsjhs
I love the following classical LPs
1. antil Corroboree, OASD 7603. Everest is a lot cheaper
2.Carmina Burana , Telarc DG10056/57
3.Water Musick, Handel, Nicholas Mcgegan Harmonia Mundi HMU 7010
4.Ein Staussfest, Erich Kunzel , Telarc DG10098,
5. Falla, Nights in the garden of spain Decca SXL 2091
6. Kornet Har sin vila Proprius 7853, beautiful choir
7, Misa Criolla, Jose Carreras, my favourite opera
8. La Fille Mal Gardee Decca SXL 2313
9. Maseenet le cid, HMV Greensleeve ESD 7040, cheap and good
10. The Planet, Holst, Zubin Mehta. CS 6734

A lot more and not cheap but exhilarating
I have been listening to classical probably for a couple of years. I buy all sorts of stuff, some from suggestions, some from liking the look of the cover, some by composers I like and some because it is cheap! One thing about classical is that there are mountains of classical records in charity shops all over the world at about $1 a record - if you have a turntable this is a great place to explore. You buy the record, if you don't like it you can chuck it away since you only paid $1.

As for suggestions, I would agree with Vivaldi - very listenable, in terms of Beethoven the 5th symphony is almost a cliche it is so well known but it is a great piece of music and the 7th symphony "rocks" for want of a better phrase. I really like the emotion you get from classical, for anger you would be hard pressed going past Shostakovich, 5th and 8th symphonies are my favourites - he's not for everyone but worth a try. Tchaikovsky's 1812 is a common favourite as is his first Piano concerto. I've been buying a few Bach records of late and The Well Tempered Clavier is nice piano music. There is a hell of a lot out there, classical music has been going for such a long time there is an enormous range. Like popular music you cannot really say you "like" classical music - some of it you will like, some you will abhor - there is a huge range (and I still don't like opera I'm afraid!).

So, my advice is to find cheap second hand classical records or CDs and have a listen. Go with people's suggestions as we all like the music we listen to for a reason, but take a chance sometimes and start giving us your suggestions.

DS
Since you are just beginning to explore classical music and the "best recordings", I suggest you buy a copy of "The NPR Guide to Building a Classical CD Collection", by Ted Libby. The book is very informative, easy to read, and contains recommended recordings of some 350 classical compositions. It also has sections on "The Best of the Best", top period-instrument groups, how to become a better classical music listener, and other helpful topics. The book is published by Workman Publishing, and the price is about $18.
I agree with Sdcampbell. The NPR guide has the most popular classical compositions as well as recommended recordings of them. As you start collecting those pieces you'll develop your own tastes and explore further with music and composers you enjoy, but the music listed will form the backbone of any good basic classical repetoire.
This is a great question because it's not just the piece of music but also the composers rendition of it. I have multiple recordings of my favourite pieces because they all sound different and depending on what mood i'm in I may prefer on over another.

One thing I know I prefer is a sharp vibrant bow sound as opposed to the mellow stringy sound.