Dynavector DV 20X-L -- which MM will better it?

Hi,
following some of these MM related threads, which MM will better DV 20X-L performance?

I know this cart and would say, it can have tight punchy bass (arm dependent), but is NOT up to the better LO-MCs in terms of treble resolution, or detailedness. Sounds like MM territory, or is this an insult?

On some German forms about older MMs, I read some very favourable comments about the Shure V15 with MR stylus...
Is that that best recommendation for this system, and would this compare with the 20X-L?

I did run a Shure V15 years ago, but am not sure it had an MR insert --- the rest of my rig was not what it is today :-) ha, ha.

Thanks,
Axel
axelwahl
Hi Al and All,
I think that review statement:
>>> ...Competes with all **but** the best of today's moving coils <<< sums it up for me so far.

Given some minor variations & preferences, all MMs mentioned this far seem ballpark with the DV 20X-L, being used as a point of reference.

As I mentioned, I KNOW the sound of the 20X-L. What I also know, is that it is easily bettered by some other MCs which I also know. And they are of course, ALL of them, more or quite a LOT more expensive.

I also mentioned that I still listen to CDs (on my 390S) and that is where it gets tricky.
Listening to some jolly good CD reproductions and then switching to the more 'flowing', more 'rolled off' more 'loosy goosy' yet musical MM reproduction is QUITE some jump in reproduction character.
My first reaction is: SOMETHING IS MISSING HERE! I have to admit, that sticking with it, it becomes -sort of- OK, after a while, but then PLEASE do not switch back to CD. It will get too confusing for me, due to that contrast in presentation.
Using a LO-MC (with SUT) practically ALWAYS trumps the CD reproduction and I can NOT EVER note that something is missing. Now even if I listen to an e.g. Kontra Punkt A (not the ruby cantilevered B) to mention yet another less pricy MC --- something is missing.
Now listening to an e.g. Dorian it can actually get just too much of a good thing --- so I guess I'm not exactly 'greedy' for detail?

All I care for is a sort of 'completeness' of harmonic detail, most important when e.g. listening to late romantic stuff like Ravel, Mahler, etc. Maybe it's an age thing?
I can only (noticeably on sine-wave tests) hear up to 11kHz, maybe 11,5kHZ. My younger friends go up to 15 or even 16kHz, has that some influence on noticing more missing detail? Might well be.

Somebody mentioned the newest Ortofon 2M --- but will it better an 20X-L going back to our point of reference? I would expect it be in the league of the Kontra Punkt A, correct me if I wrong.

Thank you for sharing,
Axel
I have some needle drops I just did with my Ortofon 2M black (you can see my system under my profile). Files are 24/96 Apple Lossless encoded.

Send me an email and I will place them on my website and send you a link. Most of the stuff I have is acoustic flamenco guitar since that's about all I rip, for my wife, who uses it to practice dancing.
Greetings,

I would restate my question in the context of your particular tonearam/effective mass, and whether you're inclined to keep this tonearm. Your 20X likes a medium mass tonearm (Rega, Graham, Dynavector, Tri-Planar, Artisan, etc.).

I'd explore both the Music Maker and SoundSmith cartridges, but would consult with both manufacturers on their user experiences for compatible tonearms. At one point, Peter's SoundSmith cartridges were fairly compliant (as in low mass tonearms), but this doesn't tell you the whole story.

Basic compliance numbers (e.g. effective mass / compliance / resonant frequency) will give you a starting point, and user experiences will help you develop a short list.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Hi Thom,
you say:
>>>I would restate my question in the context of your particular tonearm/effective mass <<<

I have used use the 20X-L in a Pro-Ject 9c arm (with the old thick arm tube used with first RPM 9). It sounded great with nice 'fat' bass, but a little rolled off. Arm mass of 9c arm was 11g.
Then with SME V, arm mass 10 - 11g (depending on counter weight position acc. to SME) and it sounded more treble 'tilted' and somewhat 'metallic' with no nice 'fat' bass at all, just 'normal' so to say.

I'm NOT using that cart any more, it's now my son's, but I have used it as a reference in trying to assess some viable MMs of similar price point ~ 350$. So far it sounds like a 1-on-1 with different 'flavours'...

I've just now put in a Shure V15 with VN35MR needle and it sounds surprisingly resolved --- BUT I am getting some (coil?) noise from the cart. What can that be?
So if I can resolve that, it might sound better yet.
I could make a case like that t-n-t reviewer, that I'd prefer that to the 20X-L in my SME arm.
The Shure sounds a bit more balanced, tracking at 1 ~ 1.2g BUT it does not have the 'colours' of a better type MC --- for MANY times the price I hasten to add :-)

Greetings,
Axel
I'm not sure about the "coil" noise you're reporting, Axel. Some of the Grados pick up on the motor and people have added a mu-metal shield around the motor to eliminate this noise pickup.

It sounds as if there's a dynamic between your turntable, tonearm, and cartridges that favors higher compliance cartridges.

For this reason (and at your price-point), I'd give serious consideration to the SoundSmith SMMC3.

Note that I have NEVER heard this cartridge, but Peter Lederman's work leads me to expect that he can accomplish at this price point what he has done at higher points.

Treat this as extrapolation on my part rather than direct experience. Perhaps someone else can comment.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier