Dynavector DV 20X-L -- which MM will better it?

Hi,
following some of these MM related threads, which MM will better DV 20X-L performance?

I know this cart and would say, it can have tight punchy bass (arm dependent), but is NOT up to the better LO-MCs in terms of treble resolution, or detailedness. Sounds like MM territory, or is this an insult?

On some German forms about older MMs, I read some very favourable comments about the Shure V15 with MR stylus...
Is that that best recommendation for this system, and would this compare with the 20X-L?

I did run a Shure V15 years ago, but am not sure it had an MR insert --- the rest of my rig was not what it is today :-) ha, ha.

Thanks,
Axel
axelwahl
Thanks Bmckenney,
it's not so much to replace a 20X-L but rather to get a take what MM would better this kind of MC...

I just had in short succession a A&R P-77, then a Lyra Dorian and now a Transfiguration Orpheus in my system --- well, good old Ivor Tiefenbrunn is as right as can right be, by having stated that the SOURCE is THE first thing that matters.
My Burmester 961 now sound like I recall a 3.2.2 Kharma! Quite something and I can just shake my head. Of course my SME-10, SME V arm, 326S, Pass 350.5 will help (at least I hope so!).

Now that Orpheus is of course mega buck territory, but I'm afraid to say that no MM can ever get to that sort of level, correct me if I'm wrong. (It is not my own cart, so sorry...)

Back to the 20X-L. That sort of MC seems just more grainy, I would say, than is a very good MM, YMMV.
Yet it's the same price class, yes? That makes this type of MM a serious contender to a more lower priced MC, and I have a notion I'd pick the MM first. But it need some wake-up call by Raul to open my ears to that.

I mention that Orpheus here, because it showed me what 'reserves' a system can have. That's quite something to hear it for yourself and not just read some review about it.

Thank you for sharing,
Axel
Dear Axel: ++++++ " Now that Orpheus is of course mega buck territory, but I'm afraid to say that no MM can ever get to that sort of level. " +++++

in the MM territory the $$$$ is almost un-important. IMHO your statement had almost no credibility and worry me due to some reasons:

first you never heard a top MM ( like the top MC Orpheus. ) in your today system bis a bis against any top LOMC.

second, not only you never heard a top MM but even if you have it ( the cartridge ) you can't make the right set-up, specially on load impedance/capacitance.

third, it seems to me that you like a higher distortion levels that many other people because even that your phono stage can handle directly a LOMC you use an additional SUT/cables/connectors ( no I don't want to open any single discussion on SUTs. ) that " improve " higher distortions, the MM alternative run through less stages/filters that your Orpheus ( btw, I owned the Transi W and heard several times the Orpheus in different system and in my system too. ) and give you a little less distortions that what you and your ears are accustom to.
The 326S like the ML 32 are a little on the " dark side " an maybe that's what you don't like it along the 350.5 " soft " performance. Btw and through my wide ML experiences I think that ML build/design better amplifiers than preamplifiers ( specially phono stages. ), same for Pass/Threshold ( that I know very well too. )

It is possible too that your ears could " suffer " a lose on the high frequency range ( as a fact in more or less way all of us " suffer " that perception lose. ) and that's why you are looking for " more ", well distortions almost always give " more " on that hgh frequency range.

+++++ " correct me if I'm wrong " +++++

IMHO yes with all respect and because you ask for :you are wrong.

Axel, till you have the opportunity to hear a top MM cartridge in your today system and with the right set-up your opinion more than an opinion is only " imagination ". I think that is more useful for everyone try to speak and share facts: real facts/experiences.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul, I bought a Grace Ruby with broken cantelever that I have sent out to soundsmith (the top of the line ruby retip). Assume it comes back similar with to the original sound, would you consider that to be a top of the line MM? Thanks.
Dear Toufu: Congratulations, the Grace F-9Ruby is just on the top level treshold.

It is a coincidence that you ask about because this week I begin to run this cartridge with my new tonearm prototype. It is a clear " winner ".
I performs good at 47K and at 100K too, maybe here on this topic it is a matters of preferences and system dependent. Yes, this Ruby is a good challenge to almost any LOMC.

Are there better MM cartridges ?, yes but only a few. If you want to talk about I appreciate that you do at the MM thread for give the people interested on MM cartridges an opportunity to " hear " on those cartridges.

I hope that the Soundsmith re-tip works fine.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.