Killing sibilance distortion - VPI & Jubilee

Hello,

Along with what others have posted in the recent past, I also have a long running case of nasty distortion on sibilants with my vinyl playback. It is worse in the inner grooves.

To build on some other recent threads about this topic, I ordered a MFSL that is supposed to be a good test for mistracking. I have made a recording clip of my playback playing some of the last track on Side 2.

I have the recording on this link:

Playback Recording

If you take a look at that, we can all be on the same page with what exactly is going on.

The setup is a VPI Scoutmaster table, JMW9 sig arm, Ortofon Jubilee cartridge. The table is leveled on a Salamander Archetype rack. VTA is set with the arm parallel. VTF is set to 2.4g. Alignment is setup with the MINT arc protractor, 10x magnification. The VPI mechanical Anti-Skate is being used, with the lighter rubber washers. Azimuth is level by means of the "VPI straw trick" (a straw in a groove on the headshell).

Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction to fix that sibilance distortion you're hearing on the recording?

I've tried quite a few things, including different cartridges, and VTF, VTA and antiskate settings, but the sibilance is always there.

Here are some photos of my setup:

Cartridge Closeup

Aligning with the MINT

Thanks for reading
by Goatwuss
goatwuss
Hi Doug & JC,
I follow this interaction of your ---- and I like to mention what might be know to you and is in some way mentioned.

Take the SAME cart, say a Lyra Dorian and fit it in a REGA 300 arm or say Pro-Ject 9c (carbon tube), switch off the phono pre and listen to what the arm does. You can hear it from meters! away how this mechanical energy is buzzing up these arms.

I put it in my SME V arm (on SME 10 'table), and --- you hear nothing! unless you put your ear VERY close to the tone arm.

It must be ALSO the *resonance* of the arm, right through the spectrum that creates this effect since the energy from the cart would not be able (in my opinion) to produce this effect.

Your comments are most welcome,
Axel
Is it possible that your cart is just at its limit during certain passages? I futzed with a Dynavector 20XL (on a VPI Scoutmaster), for a couple of years, (including using the Mint), and it still had tracking problems. While not actually jumping out of the groove, there were certain Lp's--especially passages with high, clanking piano, solo flute/horn, brass--which acquired a "papery" and "thin" sound. I have since purchased a Dynavector XX2 mk2 and even after hastily aligning it with VPI's own jig, I've not been able to make it so much as hiccup. It retains a purity of sound, transparency, roundness of tone, and semblance of air right down to the last inch of groove. I'm profoundly satisfied. I hasten to add the the Dyna 20 XL was a wonderful cart in its own right on about 95% of my collection.
Hi Goatwuss,

I've had the same issues with a brand new Ortofon Windfeld, and on a totally different TT and arm combination!
I've tried EVERYTHING! like you have - and the distortion did not go away (on almost every LP, towards the inner grooves the distortion reappeared, I thought I was going NUTS!)
Before the Windfeld I've had an AT33PTG - and it was an AMAZING cartridge - but I wanted to upgrade, to "learn" what's out there...
In the end, I've decided to sell the Windfeld so I've bought a Koetsu Rosewood - and I'm totally in LOVE with it! No distortion at all!
Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences once more!

Doug - a minor clarification, the AT33PTG is actually a MC cartridge. Also, can you clarify in what way you feel the recording with this cart sounds dull and slow? Frankly, other than the sibilance distortion, I strain to hear the differences between these cartridges!

JDaniel - Good to know that the XX2 is a good match with a VPI table!

Iaxelrod - What TT and arm were you using with the Windfeld? Do you find that the Koetsu is not neutral enough, or not dynamic enough?
This is great thread. Now I feel better. After reading this, I might sell my table and stick to CDs. All in all it comes down to one thing. Cartridge/arm compatibilty and about 15 grand for the front end and phono pre. Maybe the Rega is a good table for the money. Cds are so much easier and they are getting so much better. I was actually thinking the Jubilee sounded pretty good compared to what I encounter when I play that Alison Kraus track. The Jubilee is not cheap either. Geez. What a nightmare. Analog is not for someone with limited funds, that is what I learned today.