Low output moving coil cartridge

I have been wanting to try a low output moving coil cartridge so I just made a purchase. I have an Audio Research SP14 pre with a built in phono stage. I am currently using a cartridge with an output of .5mv and the highest volume level I ever needed is around 12;00- 1;00 position. The cartridge I just purchased has an output of .28mv. The current amp I am using is rated at 30 wpc driving my Klipshorns. I also have an Audio Research 60 wpc amp. My question is, do you think I can substitute the extra power from the ARC to make up for the lower cartridge output? By the way, Klipsch states 100 watt RMS on their Khorns.
markpao
No. You haven't lost any power at all by going to the lower output cartridge. All that you've done is to change the position of the volume control that is required to reach the 30W power capability of your amp, and by a modest amount (about 6db, since the cartridges differ in output level by about a factor of 2).

The main question is whether the background hiss at the higher volume control setting will still be acceptably low. That is a function of the noise performance of the preamp's phono stage, not of the power amp.

Regards,
-- Al
What's relevant in your situation is not the power rating of your amp, but the gain of your phono stage. A quick look seemed to show 66db gain, which is plenty for that cart. Should be no problem.
I'm using a similar low output MC cart (Denon 103R) with an ARC sp16. I tested without one at first but a step up device was required to get to proper levels with low background noise with the sp16.
Mapman-your cart output may be similar, but another quick search shows the SP-16 with a 55db phono stage gain. i.e., your preamp is different than the OP's, at least in regard to the gain at the phono stage. I have a lot of experience with the D103 variants with many phono stages, and it's true that 55db is marginal-though workable. 66db, however, is fine and jim-dandy, and I'd wager the OP will have no issues.