Tips on Buying Quiet Quality sounding LP's

Is it just hit and miss when buying LP's that are quiet and really good sounding or should I be looking for a specific date, manufacturer etc.

What should I look for?

dev
Elizabeth,

I think I know what your saying about the Telefunken label and there may be other "less shiny" makes.

Would you say that given a reference Telefunken in good shape for comparison, one in lesser condition still might still be determined based on how it reflects light in comparison to the reference?

BTW, there are certain labels, like Telefunken and many of the commonly mentioned usual suspects, that I associate with high quality recordings in general. In these cases, I will often relax my recording quality standards for visual inspection that I apply in general more in that there is likely greater potential benefit to start with.
i agree with bob. when buying used vinyl at stores in my area, i can listen to the record with head phones. then i can at least gauge whether there is surface noise.
Speaking of potential groove wear, this is often a result of how many times the LP was played. Look at the amount of wear and small indentations around the center hole, also sleeve and dust jacket condition.
"i agree with bob. when buying used vinyl at stores in my area, i can listen to the record with head phones. then i can at least gauge whether there is surface noise."
I concur. I bring decent Shure Earbuds with me, which helps
a little over the ones in the store. Of course, no way to avoid the old rickety TT, and outdated Ratshack phono amp.
Tanglewood, is your moniker influenced by the famous Amphitheatre in the Berkshires.