UHA Reel to Reel/Tape Project opinions

I list this under analog because I feel it is the truest copy of master tape and is pure analog. The question is has anyone out there compared a UHA Phase 4 reel to reel deck with Tape Project tapes to any VPI reference scoutmaster or other reference table playback of records? Is it worth the $10k investment when there are only 20 current titles to choose from at $300 each?
My system details: Magnepan 20.1s, Pass Labs X250.5 amp and Xono phonostage, Audio Research Ref 3 preamp and Ref 8 CD player, Shunyata Hydra 8 and anaconda powercords, Audioquest interconnects.
powerdoctor
Yes, I am pushing Blu-Ray as I believe it is a way of getting the best performance from the tape masters, especially masters that were done three channel.

do you truely think that Blue Ray or any PCM can match Tape or Lp when analog master tapes are the source?

my experience is that hirez PCM is not even remotely close to a properly dubbed 15ips 1/4" tape copy of a tape. and really not close to a good Lp either (at least in my system to my ears).

i had multi-channel SACD in my 2-channel room for a year and experimented with 3-channel and 5.1 at hirez (higher rez to my ears than 96/24 pcm or 192/24 pcm) and while i did enjoy it my Lps smoked it. i had the SACD multi-channel version of KOB, and again, the 45rpm Classic Records reissue of KOB was dramatically better. my 15ips master dub of KOB was better than the 45.

don't get me wrong; hirez PCM is a very good format and the performance is worth the effort over redbook. Blue Ray has a chance to bring better sounding music to lots of people.

but......don't make statements that it 'blows away tape' or 'blows away top level vinyl' unless you actually do the comparisons on top level gear. or guys like me will need to call you on it (when it's posted on a tape oriented thread).

Blue Ray can be a very good thing for music lovers without being better than analog.

i'll be getting the AP 45rpm pressings of Nat King Cole when they come out and compare them to my much loved DCC's. i already have definitive versions of KOB. as far as Blue Ray for myself (besides my Blue Ray player in my separate Home Theatre room), i have a hirez server in my 2-channel room with 176/24 and 192/24 files now, i'm not sure i need to add another source to my 2-channel room. as always, i'll follow the music. if Blue Ray becomes the best format for the music i want to listen to, i'll add it. unfortunately; music already recorded in analog is mostly what i listen to.

i'm definitely not adding multi-channel to my 2-channel room again.
Mikelavigne has got it spot-on- digital still has a long way to go before it will beat out the best of analog tape!

If you spend some time in a recording studio using high quality microphone feeds (in my case, refurbished Neumann U-67s driving refurbished Western Electric tube mic preamps going straight into the recorders, both analog and digital), you hear very quickly how 'OK' digital is yet how dreadfully far behind analog it is. Sorry- not even close and blu-ray, though a lot better than regular CD, is not a cure.
Powerdoctor, you are really asking two questions.....one of which can be answered pretty objectively, the other becomes a question of priorities.

does a high quality RTR deck (of which the UHA Phase 4 deck is one (possible) example) playing Tape Project tapes outperform a VPI Reference Scoutmaster?

no question, a big yes.....and it's not likely very close.

I would have to agree fully with this, I have a Scoutmaster and a subscription to the TP tapes. The tapes easily out perform my Scoutmaster and LP's. I have a few TP tapes and the same copy on vinyl and have done many comparisons, the tapes wins every time.
my experience is that hirez PCM is not even remotely close to a properly dubbed 15ips 1/4" tape copy of a tape. and really not close to a good Lp either (at least in my system to my ears).

Mike:

I have a 15 ips/2 track copy of KOB and it beats every LP copy I have, including an original Columbia and Classic reissue, hands down! :) Everyone who has heard the tape is speechless-you know the effect when a group of audiophiles stop talking and start listening :)

Myles