Live vs home system???

I have been listening to live music since the 60's and other than live accoustic I have not found live music that compares to a purposeful home system. I wonder what live music everyone wants to emulate? When live music is enhanced by electronics such as a Stones concert, are you looking to match that sound? Perhaps the sound to match is the sound in the studio?? I must say that the live music I have heard never has the imaging that my home system has, and I am never sitting exactly in the middle of a performance, and I never have to put earplugs in so my ears are not blown out with my home system. So the question is what live music are we comparing to? Thanks
Richard
rnadell
Sorry did you meant Live vs Horn System...

Like Apachef1 just said , the idea is to compare your system to a live unamplified performance, a Jazz band, a Salsa Band is great also! but the main point is to get a Symphony in your living room...I have heard such system, it can be done, most approximations use multiaplified huge horns.

Now Mordante is on the other side of it, dont compare just enjoy the music, well the times I enjoyed music the most were in my teens with a cheap stereo and a couple of girlfriends, but maybe hormones had something to do with it! remember : In the heat with a blue jean girl....

Now if you mean to replicate the sound of a Stadium playing a U2 concert hell put some earplugs and call the police!!!
I just heard Holy Cole in a small and well-known jazz club in Boston. It was dreadful. The sound came out of three large speakers via a mixing board. Scale was wrong, bass too loud, etc. Even worse was Patricia Barber in Cambridge a year ago. Though my system hardly sounds real, I much prefer it to those two live performances.

The Boston Symphony Orchestra, on the other hand, sounds fantastic. I just heard Brahm's violin concerto from center orchestra seats and I was nearly moved to tears. My system can't come close. The BSO is my clear reference and what I compare my system to every time I make changes and attempt improvements. I have never heard better than the BSO and only a few systems in my experience have even hinted at that sound.
Boston Symphony Hall has ATC's installed. WGBH studios has been using ATC's for as long as I can remember. Although, nothing can reproduce attending a live orchestra with good seats.
Shadorne, I can almost guarantee that the ATC's in Symphony Hall would never actually be used in the BSO's regular classical symphonic concerts. They would be used for the Boston Pops, depending on what the program was - they would only be used if something was being miked live, for instance a vocalist in a pops show. About the only exception that would ever occur in a regular classical subscription series program that I can think of off the top of my head would be a classical guitar concerto - and even then, I am not certain that it would be pumped through the hall's speaker system - often it is just a moniter on stage. I can ask friends in the orchestra if you are curious, and get back to you in a couple of days.
Interesting Rnadell
the question is what live music are we comparing to?
We're not -- or shouldn't be IMO. At home we create a musical event;
I don't think we should refer to precise reproduction of live music as the target reference for a system.

Live music teaches us characteristics of musical instruments, of how musicians work, of the soul musicians put into their playing... but we surely can't expect to bring Albert Hall into our living room!
My 2.1c