ARC CD 3 mk II upgrade with DAC 8

My current gear is all ARC which includes a REF 3, CD 3 MK II and REF 75. In the continuation of ongoing improvements, I consider my digital source as the next component for upgrade. I have been considering the CD 6 or a used CD 7. Recently a friend purchased a CD 9 and has offered me his DAC 8 at a very reasonable price. Using my existing CD 3 as a transport in conjunction with the DAC 8 is an option. Any recommendations or thoughts on this would be appreciated. thanks
supermodified
I would think it would be a good idea to try the DAC 8 in your system. Do an A/B comparison. That way you can judge for yourself what you actually hear.
My front end is all ARC too.

The CD-3 uses the Phillips Pro 2 transport, which is used in the CD-5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 models. I own the CD-8, which is a very nice unit. I previoulsy owned the CD-7, which is very similar to the CD-8, except that the CD-8 uses a Burr Brown 1792 PCM D/A chip. I think the CD-8 sounds better than the CD-7.

The DAC 8 has a similar DAC topology as the ones used in the current CD-6 and CD-9. I believe Burr Brown 1795 PCM chipsets used in quad mono mode. I think you would do quite well using the CD-3 as a transport and the DAC 8 as the DAC ... if the price is right. I think I've seen some preowned DAC 8's being offered for sale on A'gon for $2K+, but I coul be wrong. I also suggest that you use balanced I/Cs between the DAC 8 and the Ref 3.

Btw, I use to own the Ref 3 before moving on to the Ref 5. I think the Ref 3 is a classic linestage that is a tough act to beat.

I also own the Ref 150 amp, the bigger brother of the Ref 75. Your amp is another classic.

I think you have an A++ system.

Cheers,

BIF

P.S. what brand speakers are you using?
I think Bifwynne shares some great information.
I was also going to mention if you have not done so, read the following could also be helpful and goes along with what Bifwynne said:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1393650200&openfrom&1&4#1

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1389119113
thanks for the excellent information. I can acquire the DAC for $2000 and considering my CD 3 is worth around $2000, this would put me at around $4000 in the positive comparative to a new CD 6. this might allow me to take the difference and apply it to speakers. Currently I am using Focal 836V in conjunction with a JL Audio Fathom 110 sub.
Oh yes as my system is strictly digital source at this time, all interconnects and speaker cables are balance using Tranparent with power fed through a Trasparent Powerwave 8