VPI Classic - Now you have one......

For all who have had the Classic for a while now...what's it like to live with and is it what you expected it to be or more/ less?
robm1
"Quick question on the JMW 10.5 tonearm that comes with the Classic (SE version without VTA tower) and those of you who ordered the standard JMW10.5i (with VTA tower and Valhalla wiring). Can you please tell me what the effective mass is for both versions of this tonearm."

The effective mass of the SE is 11.2 grams. I don't know about the i version. I'd email VPI directly for this information.
Actusreus

I have the Glider high output S. While I love the sound, there may be a better matchup for the Classic; since I already had the Glider, I didn't do any research. I believe VPI recommends a Dynavector that they'll mount for you at a decent price.

As far as arm mass, I was told it was 12.3g.

Regarding using a maple board under the Classic, I wanted a dust cover to protect the TT and arm; so, I bought a Ginko table top dust cover from Galen (and love it). Hoever, keep in mind that you'll probably need extra headroom with the table top dust cover if your board's dimensions are smaller than the Ginko's (to accommodate the heighth of the board).
Thanks Rockyboy for the info and advice. Interesting that VPI in their email response to me stated that the effective mass of the Classic tonearm is 11.2 grams. What was the source of your information?

Good point about the dustcover. I currently have the Scout and got a custom made acrylic cover ($99!) for it, but it rests on the plinth. It saves both the cost and the space. I believe I saw the same type of cover at my dealer's on the Classic from Ginko while it lasted (they have 4 Classics on backorder!).
Actusreus, do you have a picture of the cover you have? I want one for my Classic like that, low profile.

thx.
Mac, I can take a pic with my phone later today and forward it to you if you want (feel free to contact me privately). The cover is absolutely top quality and made perfectly to my specifications. The only downside to ordering custom is the wait time. But for a fraction of the price Ginko charges still worth it...