VPI Classic - Now you have one......

For all who have had the Classic for a while now...what's it like to live with and is it what you expected it to be or more/ less?
robm1
Not sure if this was mentioned in this thread (I don't think so)that the lastest version of the VPI Classic is now being made with solid Walnut Sides, rather than Laminated Walnut.

The newest version has more rounded edges, that it looks more akin to the older HW-19 Table.

About the only other thing I have noted from other Classic owners, is the claim that the Aluminum Platter seems to scratch easily, and this gives me the impression that this Platter was never Hard Anodized. My opinion is, that they should be, to lessen scratching, as well as oxidation. My assumptions could be wrong as far as this goes? Mark
I recently read an article (or part of an article....March 2010 Stereophile "As We See It" by Steve Guttenburg p.3)in regards to the Classic. I don't have the article in front of me and its been a few weeks since I have read so forgive me if its not 100% accurtate..but you'll get the picture. The Classic has already been revised. The arm has been lengthened by 6mm, the motor is mounted with a different plate, the platter although visually the same is made by a different process and the bottome is covered with a damping materieal. Now it seems that the plinth has been changed as well....after reading the last few posts of this article. If anyone can confirm or comment about these changes please do so.
Thanks, John
can vpi classic owners tell me if its normal for the table to make a popping noise when turning the table off? i just demoed the classic and thought it sounded wonderful, but the noise when turning the table off was annoying.
thanks
I've not had that or any other problem with my Classic. I love the table! Popping is not normal and that table should be replaced.