returning vinyl for warpage?

Ok so I am kinda new to vinyl so I am not sure if I am just being too picky so here is the deal:
I purchased 2 new LPs, Beatles white, and Them Crooked Vultures. Both are double lp, and the first song or so has a noticable warp. They play fine...but it's awful nerve racking to watch the needle ride up and down over the waves LOL. I have purcased about 30 records new from the same store and never had this problem before. Since they play fine, is it unreasonable to go back and request another copy? TCV wasn't that big of a deal but the darn Beatles cost a chunk of change!

thanks for your input.
no_money
Yes, you should return them! Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds are not always happy to take them back but they will if you insist; don't be afraid to insist, it's your money!
Kurt,

The vinyl of TCV is quite good - I don't own the CD but it is interesting to note that the free MP3 download card included with the LP proudly proclaims that the high bit rate transfer is derived from the vinyl master.

I like the LP's sonics - it's a big sounding crunchy hard rock LP, with a very good low end, and decent transparency for a contemporary recording of the genre. My pressing is flawless.

-Richard
Kurt,

The LP is much better, at least to me it is. I had the cd for about a month before going out and getting the album.

It's actually the 2nd copy. The first copy was warped as well and I returned it. I bought the Beatles on that return trip. Now that this one is warped as well as the Beatles one... started making me doubt if I should return them again. I found last night that there is a spot in track one that won't track / skips so it's going back again for sure.

The Beatles I am not sure about, it was the last copy and was $50.00. I have found it elsewhere ( on line ) but they want 70 bucks for it.

All of this was from School kids in Raleigh NC. Like I said though, I have purchased 30 or so LPs from them and all of them have been great. I don't want to put a hurting on one of the only places I can get LPs locally, it's about the only new Vinyl store in business around here. I went there when I was a kid... and that was a LONG time ago LOL...
Palasr, thanks for the info!

No_money, Thank you too, and if they won't exchange it, you should do a search here, and on AudioAsylum, on how to do record flattening with two pieces of glass in your oven.
(I am not sure of the temperature or the length of time to do it, but I have read that it works very well, and does not damage the vinyl.)

Good Luck!

PS I am off to find and buy a copy of TCV!
I'm glad this thread came up again, it gets discussed often enough, but I've noticed that many more records that I've purchased (new) in the past 2-3 years have been warped.

I've especially noticed that the albums that are so called 'audiophile quality' '180 gram!' pressings suffer the same problems as some of the much cheaper records. center holes punched of center, scary lip warps, etc.

I know the 180 gram argument is tired, but when you are buying these albums that are advertised as the best quality pressing yet, and are priced as such, you should get what is advertised. Instead you get, in my opinion, suckerd.

This has to be a Q/A thing happing at the plants. I've got records that are decades older than myself that are glass flat and probably were stored like an old couch for many hears. So, does anyone have any ideas?

Not letting the vinyl cool properly? Shrink wrapping too tightly or getting the heat source to close to the product? Different vinyl compositions due to environmental regulations or overall cost savings?

I just dont buy the damaged in transit argument anymore, because all my records were transported similarly 8-10 years ago as they are today.

for the record, I agree with Jaybo, that if it plays fine its fine, but I can help but think it imparts some unnecessary wear on the cantelever and suspension of the cartridge.