What is the best DAC under $3000

I am looking to upgrade my Sony CDP-XA7ES cd player. I have a couple of options for a transport and haven't tried any ooutboard DAC's for years. Last one I had was a Theta Pro Basic IIIA. Not familiar with any of the modern day digital. Any help would be much appreciated.
sparky45
Your budget seems to be at the lower limit of some very nice sounding DAC options you could consider if you can swing $500 to $1,000 more. Some choices include; Metrum Hex, Auralic Vega, and Lampizator L4 G4, to name but a few. At about your price range, one for you to consider that is off the beaten path would be the Yamamoto Soundcraft YDA-01 or YDA-01B.
Ditto Savjam. Had the DAC 3.0VB in my system for a while and it was sublime. Read the reviews of the DAC 3.5VB if you want more info. Best of luck.
The "best" DAC under 3 kilobucks? If you can find it, quite possibly the new Mytek Digital Stereo192-DSD-DAC @ $1600. Mytek has for years been one of the most respected names in professional studio ADCs and DACs. I use them myself. The unit is apparently a little quirky, and clearly shows its pro ancestry, but it's very unlikely you'll find clearly better at any price.
PS Audio PWD MkII. I have beem listening to digital since the Magnavox CDB 650 (the first 16 bit player), and the PSA is a superb piece. For the first time, digital doesn't do anything to bother me. This is a sweet machine.

Neal
I am well known for mucking around with a lot of DAC's, as well as owning quite a few.

Sub $3k I like the Chord Qute with an upgraded power supply, Metrum, and NAD M51.

However what you feed it is critical and I suggest a Syncromesh from Empirical Audio.

I also have to say if you lift your budget to $5-6K you will be able to get a much better DAC - it is not small incremental improvements at the $3k price point. In that price point I suggest the Phasure if you want to go full computer audio, a PDX, or a new DAC I have recently got called a Killer. Although I personally haven't heard it people tell me the Lampazator is pretty good.

Hearing those DAC's however will likely be a problem (although the Lampazator isn't too bad). They are made in minuscule quantities basically as hand made items for the enthusiast market. The reason I don't mention the usual commercial stuff at that price point is, and this is based on hearing a LOT of DAC's, I don't think they are worth the dosh. For example I am aware of a shootout between the Killer and a much more expensive DCS stack. Most preferred the Killer.

Thanks
Bill