Vinyl pops and clicks: Can they be eliminated??

I have a Mobile Fidelity issue of "Close to the Edge" by Yes. The LP is at least 20 years old or more. Always help up well until today. There is now a skip that repeats over and over. Other pops and clicks don't interrrupt the flow of music like this one. I checked several things: cartridge, tracking, stylus, and also damped cleaned the LP, but it continued to skip repeat in that one place. It may be time to retire this piece of vinyl, but if I could inexpensively repair or correct that skip, it would be great. However,I intend to replace this album with the Japanese SHM-CD import when the reissue is available again. All advice welcome
sunnyjim
Oh, wonderful. Yet another silly digital format that's "almost as good a vinyl".
Sunnyjim... do you have a digital setup that will play 24/96 HD digital files?
Dougdeacon, Yes, I did post in August 2008 regarding record care advice. As my post indicates, I take good care of my records. This is the first time in 40 years, I encountered the "skipping" problem I described. I have no intention of dumping the collection I have as suggested by Sid42, or the Rega table which I just upgraded with their TTPSU AC regulator. However, in my recent post I ask for advice, not to be taken to the woodshed for being negligent in record care. Unfortunately, for me in September 2008, I became seriously ill which rsulted in a seizure and other attendant medical complications. My audio system lay silent for over a year as I recovered, and was not my top priority. I do recall reading the posts that were submitted in answer to my 2008 inquiry and am grateful to the members for taking the time to respond. Nevertheless, I am now less inclined to ask for advice as a consequence of your response and Sid42.....Jim
Hello Sunnyjim, I hope you're doing much better then you were in Sept '08... Your priorities are definitely in order, BTW. Anyway, my experience is: I have about 2 or 3 thousand Lp's, since the late '60's... played them all on a very nice '70's turn table with curved "S" shaped type arm.. The '70's table was a very good sounding piece and was set up properly, but some new records would skip and repeat or skip over, so, I just put those LP's away:( Fast forward to 2004, I splurge and purchase a Basis 2000 series table with Vector model-3 tone arm -which is a straight arm and, Benz Micro ACE cartridge... Now, for some reason those old LP's don't skip. Clicks and pops are something that just come with the territory.