PS AUDIO P500 as a Turntable speed controller?

Analog Guru's out there:

Could I use the P500 Power Plant Regenerator as a turntable speed controller in my case? I am using the Michell Orbe SE - AC Motor with the larger PS not the newer DC Motors.

Its states by PS Audio themself that:

"Every Power Plant has always had the ability for the user to choose a frequency that best suits his systems needs, or perhaps used as a motor controller for an AC synchronous turntable"

Appreciate any advise or anyone doing this.

Ravi
rapogee
I have used a PS300 for years as a TT speed control. From my MS BL-91, VPI and now with my Basis Debut with no ill effects. Very stable. Make sure it has multiwaveII for finer adjustments. Do not use the dual feq option, A/C motors do not like it, they can & will fail if used.

Hevac

You said "do not use the dual f(r)eq option, AC motors do not like it, they can and will fail if used".

I have no experience of running the PS Audio units being discussed so this may be true of them but it is certainly not true of frequency controllers in general.

AC synch motors can usually be run at a wide range of speeds using frequency control if the controller is designed to achieve this and due respect is given to the heat load and mechanical aspects (eg bearings). A range of 50 - 150% of spec is considered conservative.

Of course if you use a single phase control then the value of the cap on the motor will be wrong for all but one frequency. This may be the cause of some of the failures you predict.

Mark Kelly
Quiddity,

This is directly from the PS300 manual.

Any turntable or equipment with AC synchronous motors, such as some cooling fans should not be used with MultiWave II+. This equipment must be used with 60Hz
SineWave mode. End.

What I am saying.
Use it in the single sinewave mode not in the multiwave mode if you are going to use it as a speed control for a TT. You can adjust the single sinewave, voltage and or fequency with an a/c motor with no ill effect. It is best to start at 60Hz and adjust from there.
With the PS300 multiwave you can emit more than 1 sinewave at the same time and that is not good for an a/c motor. In multiwave mode you can and will destroy your TT motor.