Changing from an XV1-S

Hi All

I'm considering (read hankering) for a new cartridge. I have been using a Dynavector XV1-S for a while now and although it really is good I feel that other manufacturers have overtaken this recently with units that cost a 'tad' less.

It's going on my VPI Classis/ 10.5 and the new Whest PS.30RDT Special Edition/ Conrad Johnson ART MK1/ Levinson 331 Poweramp/ JM Lab Scala Utopia. The general sound from the system is excellent to bloody brilliant BUT having just heard an Ortofon Cadenza Black in the system I am led to believe that the XV1-S technology is 'getting on'.

A friend has recommended the Ortofon A90 or Lyra Titan.
Is there anything else I should look at?

My musical tastes are wide BUT do not include Opera, Classical or choir. I like vocals but love instumentals.

Thanks for your help - if I get any :)

dcarol
Bill,

regarding what about the Ortofon A90 that is new technology;

the body of the A90 is built with a process called Selective Laser Melting (SLM) in which micro-particles are laser welded together layer by layer. similar to the reconstruction sequence in the movie '5th Element'. say what you want about the cartridge; certainly no other phono cartridge is built with technology as new and inovative remotely approaching this one.

here is a link to some details.

my favorite cartridge at the moment is the Lyra Olympos SL. there are a number of other great cartridges out there i've not heard or spent enough time with to say what's the best or anything like that. but the A90 is a special cartridge which seems to work in many arms and systems.

i certainly agree with comments regarding improving tt's and arms and even phono stages, as well as set-up precision as sometimes/mostimes making more sense than cartridges. i have 3 tt's and 4 arms and 2 phono stages. context can be everything to cartridge performance. yet no doubt the A90 seems to stand up in pretty much any context as special.
Nice ortofon movie , nice company .

I also owned a levinson power amp , nice amps , may be also an upgrade would be a bigger levinson , improved dynamics /control better bass and soundclarity at higher volumes
Mike,
I know what you mean. I have 7 tables, 6 tonearms, 6 phono stages, and 21 cartridges.

I have no doubt the A90 is a wonderful cartridge but 50+ years in the hobby and business has taught me the latest is not always the greatest.

Thanks
Hi Audiofeil

Your last statement makes a lot of sense. I think I will leave this one to my ears and wallet and that is it.
I love these conversations! So, is it safe to say that if a audiophile upgrades from a Dynavector 20-xl (using a Dyna 507 MKII arm) that regardless of the following upgrade option chosen, either a Dyna XV-1s, or a Ortofon A90, or a Grado The Statement1, that they would be thrilled with the overall improvement? If the answer is 'yes', then perhaps they should just go with the 'cheapest' cartridge of the three??? That would be the Grado...