How does a beginner turntable compare to digital ?

I am thinking of trying my first turntable with a 300-500$ turntable such as Rega P1 or Pioneer. How does that sound comparing to digital playback ? For example compare to Rega Apollo CD player ? what kind of differences can I expect ?

I am using Rega Brio 3 amplifier and Harbeth C7-es2 speakers.
Excellent midrange is a must to me. I am listening mainly to folk, bluegrass, jazz, small chamber musics some ballad rock.
vqlong2000
It all depends how much enjoyment...or conversation piece equipment one wants to own...but truth be told...it is kind of a misnomer that you have to spend thousands to fully understand vinyl...similiar to Mac computers...there are those that must justify their purchases...and having esotoric gear falls into that...I would find a decent, clean used table in your are for cheap(far less that the $400 for a rega...and see if it floats your boat...in you have any analogue inclinations this will bring it out...from there you can upgrade...note: i have several used record stores in my area so going second hand is very easy and cost effective...if you live in a more rural area and have to purchase new via mail order, etc...that kind of defeats the purpose of used savings...
Expect nothing in advance - just try it. I agree with the recomendation of Pro-Ject Debut III. Add to this Pro-Ject phono box and Pro-Ject speed controller.
Thanks for all the helpful comments and advices. One thing that makes me want to try out vinyl is the ritual of listening musics through a turnable. After countless hours with computer and lossless music files that you can easily move from file to file at will, the idea of taking care of your records, your turntable and taking time to set up a record to play music seems enjoyable to me. It is like taking care of your pet and it is also like ZEN; living slower, mindful of what you are doing and enjoying v.v.

But then to make all these exercises worthwhile, it is a must that the end music does not disappoint. My goal is to reach a level of music through vinyl that is comparable if not exceed a good CD player such as the Rega Appollo. As I said a above, I don't mind the time taking care of the rig and I do have time budget for that :)

For the start, the Rega Brio 3 I am using has decent phono stage as I heard. Debut III or Rega P1 seems to be an OK idea for an integrated vinyl set-up. But if there is other bargain below 1K that better satisfy my goal above, then I think I will be willing to invest.

I don't have a LP record collection. But I have access to some good used LP stores. I also thinking of buying bulk here in Audiogon or Ebay for a starter. How bad is that idea ? What is the chance of getting some respectable LPs in cheap that way ?

Thanks again, You are all great.
I recommend that you purchase Spin Clean to clean those used records. It will made a huge differance in your enjoyment of vinyl. A clean record will sound much better than a dirty one.