The Placement of Tonearm Counterweights

Some interesting reading:

www.basisaudio.com/docs/tnm_vcr_mtw_specs.pdf
audioantique
This makes good sense. However varying mass v. distance on just one side of a conventional pivot arm has the limitation of a relatively small range of adjustment. To devise a "universal" arm with continuously variable effective vertical mass, I've been working on an approach that uses counterweights on both sides of the pivot of a short linear arm. So far this is doing a great job of optimizing set-up for cartridges of varying compliance. In fact, this adjustment is a very significant variable in accurate set-up, and the feature has vastly simplified the issue of cartridge/arm synergy.
Someting like the new Moerch arm Dave, ith counterweights to both sides and one in the rear?
Hi Bob,

The Moerch is certainly beautiful, and like other pivots does variable effective mass and other nice things with interchangeable armtubes. However I'm done with long resonant arm tubes and the inevitable junctions in wiring attendant to detachable wands.

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1293020811.jpg

In addition to varying effective vertical mass the counterweights mass-load the point bearings.
Dgarretson
I am curious about some of your tone arm parameters. I am not suggesting that you are wrong I simply am an ignorant analog novice trying to learn something. Why can't the arm wands be effectively damped to stop resonance. Is it because damping materials used would be too heavy? Or do the laws of physics dictate that any length of a tubular structure will have a resonance frequency regardless of efforts to minimize its effects or to get it out of the audible spectrum?
How does the arm interact with the cartridge if the correct effect downforce and minimal restriction on the pivot point is observed such that the stylus compliance would be altered? I guess the mass of the arm restricticts it's motion to some extent but why would'nt the stylus be free to move as a function of its suspension?
I like linear arms BTW but never afforded anything beyond a number of ebay Technics TT in marginal condition.