Phasured to Life NOS1

So I had the Lampizator Gen 4 L5 Vcaps with DSD.
So the game here is Gen 2/3/4 and late Gen 4. Have to have D caps and Lamp DSD and only Lamp DSD. So I am a loser as I never heard Lamp L5 because Ming Su the ex Distributer for Lamp installed the DSD. LOL. Marketing BS and many fall for it. Change a wire here there and move this around and bingo Gen 32.

Ok so this Lamp guy is the best digital I ever heard. Natural organic realistic and draws you into the music. If you own a Lamp you are sitting really good on the digital tight rope.

Something is missing still. What was it? Noise and distortion and color was all there but sounded great. Tubes are glorious !!! Big soundstage . Musically convincing.

What's this Phasure guy doing on the outer skirts of this digital playback world? Read up and the bugs in the software XXHighend was a no go for me. I like push and play!!!

So this chap in Australia is beating me to try Phasure. One year of his talk and I just passed him by. Then one day!! Yea one day I did it. Stupid computer dude me ordered the full Monty. Phasure NOS1 computer and XXHE. It all goes together you know.
So I am told that this PeterSt guy is kool and helps out plus 90 days to try out. I pull the $$$ trigger.

Everything comes in 4 days?? Yes it does.

So how does it do next to Lamp??

No color

No distortion

No noise!! I mean the noise floor is zero. Gee I like that. Lamp has a colored sound to it. Distortion and noise out of the A$$ it does.

So are there bugs? Yes but there is Peter right on it. No two day wait to hear from him. How about within 45 mins. he is there. I would say I was/am his biggest PITA buyer but then again he likes the reward of Phasure users being knocked out with his stuff.

So now I am in Unattended mode for the first time where SQ is now way above Lamp. This mode shuts down the computer to doing nothing. Now it is a music playback that is truly a must have for me.

I will keep this short and sweet. Phasure full Monty rocks out big time and has far exceeded my expectations.

If you are looking for that breakthrough digital playback machine then go out and lay down the coin and try out one of the best Dac software computer going. Phasure NOS1 is the real deal boys and girls!!
128x128glory
Bill was upfront about the fact that a Mac was used, so he cant be faulted ther. Furthermore, he recalls it sounded the same to him, but he will soon hear it with XXHE and A+ at the same time and can fully confirm.

I wont knock Bill at all for his kind service of relaying his impressions, even if the setup was sub-optimal. its the best we have at the moment.

On the otherhand, it seems that several people in Oz have NOT heard a properly setup Lampi. In one case, I know they used one with a dying tube and in other cases, no care and attention was paid to the Transport and we all have concluded that the Lampi reward proper Tansports, mechanical grounding and quality cables with spectacular playback.

Having said that, the sonic signature of the NOS1 sounds very different and if I could afford to have another Dac (I already have 2 Lampi boxes, a Qute HD, a Geek USB Dac on the way and a Dspeaker ADC/DAC) it would most likely be a Phasure fo its different sound. Dacs for courses and all that. Unlike Peter and Thorsten, I LOVE DSD. LoL
'Bill, what was asked for was a comparo to a Lampi LEVEL 7. It uses DHTs and is a very different beast to the other Lampis.'

The answer is again the same. I personally find nothing about it enticing enough to fork out my own dosh and get one. If you, or anyone else, wants to send one over - feel free. Or if you, or anyone else, is tight enough with the Lampi people get them to send one for comparison.

Thanks
Bill
'Several AMR owners converted to Lampis (L4s) in the US, so your information is incomplete. From what I have been TOLD, the L7 could dance with any of the chosen participants. I know there are a few Aussie Lampis floating about.'

That's not what everyone found. But the answer is still the same - have one sent over.

'If that's true, the shootout was worthless. The XXX is an essential part of the Phasure equation.'

It wasnt a shootout - simply a GTG with a guy who wanted to hear some DAC's to help his choice in an upgrade. A person was supposed to bring his optimally set up computer with XXHighend but wasn't able to make it.

A gathering much more along the lines of a shootout will happen on the 15th of March and that will have the Phasure fed optimally.

Again if people don't like the GTG's I write about, for whatever reason, feel free to organize your own and write about it. Then you might get an idea of what it feels like to go to this trouble and have people nit pick it that it didn't include this or that DAC they would like to know about, or some DAC wasn't used optimally.

Thanks
Bill
'If that's true, the shootout was worthless. The XXX is an essential part of the Phasure equation.'

Can I ask if that's from actually hearing it?

I have heard it both ways, admittedly not side by side, and that would not be my assessment. It has this super clear, clean and pure sound both ways to my ears. I know Peter says he cant even listen to it via Audirvana but I didn't find it like that.

If its simply from what you have read then I have found that is not always the most reliable way to form hard and fast opinions regarding the sound of audio gear.

In due course I will probably be able to hear such a side by side comparison between Audirvana and XXHighend into the Phasure and see what the go is. So far however I wouldn't say it chalk and cheese at all - still one never knows.

Thanks
Bill
'I know there are a few Aussie Lampis floating about.'

And precisely how does that equate with me being able to get a hold of one easily? Getting a hold of stuff often involves me forking out my own dosh. Even professional reviewers out here like John Darko have to do that. He has posted that's the case but evidently still gets heaps of requests - compare this to this etc etc as if the fact he is a professional reviewer means he has any gear you can think of on hand.

This is the annoying thing I find about peoples suggestions, I should do this, compare this, bla bla bla - exactly why they think I, or others who also post about comparisons, have access to all this gear is beyond me.

The reason they are posting it is probably they aren't able to do it, so want someone else to. That's fine - but assuming others are able to is the bit that has me scratching my head.

Over on Computer Audiophile they also have a Phasure discussion. A person went to a lot of trouble to post a comparison - but what was one persons comment:
'do a blinded shootout of the Exasound, Phasure, MA-1 (and possibly Lampizator?). That would be interesting'

Amazing.

Even more amazing is the requests for blind tests. They have probably read that blind tests show all gear sounds the same etc etc and want to see tests done blind. My answer is no one should ever ask someone to do a blind test until they have done one and posted about it - that way they will appreciate how hard they are to do. That's the reason there is a dearth of them - not that people are scared etc etc. They are simply so damn hard to do properly.

Thanks
Bill
More to discover