Classic records reissue - very disappointing

I have finally decided that Classic records reissue vinyl has a lot to be desired. The last copies I bought were horrible. The vinyl is not very well pressed and the sound is strident and irritating.

I put the Chesky version of the Reiner Sound and then the Classic reissue. There is no contest. It sounds like the Chesky was mastered with tubes and the Classic with solid state electronics. The Chesky is also pressed much better than the Classic. The mids sound very "not natural" on the Classic, almost overemphasized and pinched in the mids. The Chesky sounds natural with lots of air. The Chesky just sounds more right to me. I have found this to be the case with many of the Classic reissues and I am just using this one as an example.

Does anybody press vinyl the way they used to?

I am finding myself gravatating to CD more these days.

The only vinyl that sounds the way I like it is the older records. The problem with this is that the condition of many of these are not very good.

If the investment is being made to reissue music on vinyl, can't they do it with so it sounds like the old vinyl?

I am not sold on the thick vinyl either. I have heard lighter weight vinyl that knocks the socks off of the 200 grams.

Maybe I am not cleaning my new vinyl properly. Is there a coating of some kind on the new vinyl? If so, how do I get it off?

The real kicker is the price we pay for these audiophile reissues. It is ridiculous. I keep hoping for that old magic and I am constantly disappointed.

I also have a reiisued Art Pepper on Analogue and the original on Contemporary. Again , no contest, the Contemporary blows it away in every way.
tzh21y
The earlier ones are better, not great, but better. I buy these records because I cannot get the originals in decent condition. I love the performances, just wished they sounded better, like the older vinyl. I believe you Learsfool. I'm with ya. I am just disapppointed and wish they sounded better. My friend has an excellent system, much better than mine and it even sounds worse on his. He's got Atmasphere gear and it sounds fabulous, especially the Cheskys, Sheffields, well you know what I mean.
We still have Bernie Grundman, Steve Hoffman and Chris Bellman. I have enjoyed many of their reissues. There are still really great sounding new records(not too many on Classic). Nora Jones, David Crosby, CSN, Lennon, and some of the Zeps are among their better ones.
Recent great sounding vinyl includes the Neil Young catalogue, ESP. Massey Hall and some of the ORG releases such as Nirvana Unplugged.
Another one I hear little talk of is the Wretches and Jabberers soundtrack. Great music and stellar sound(mastered by perhaps the best of all time-Bob Ludwig). This one even comes with a CD to demonstrate why vinyl still sounds better. Highly recommended but limitted to 500 copies for now. I'd grab one just in case.
I only have a few Classic Recs. I had a terrible time getting a copy of Sonny Clark's "Cool Struttin" without a bunch of crackly noise. I would've gone with the Music Matters 45, but I wanted mono. Eventually I got a decent one, though.

The others I have are the 45rpm Mingus "Ah Um", 45rpm Clarity mono Cannonball "Somethin Else", and John Jenkins/Kenny Burrell. All of which I'm very happy with.

Even with their QC problems, I'm sad to see them go, because they released mono versions of albums even where stereo was available. I just don't like the sound of most early stereo. Why would anyone pan drums and bass all the way to one side?!
I listened to some Scheherazade Reissues

Classic Records, first Series 180gr
Chesky
EMI ASD 251, Sir Thomas Beecham, RPO

Classic Records

RCA was one of those rare Companies (with Decca and Mercury) which made recordings to the absolute limit what was possible from dynamics, see their Stampers 1s, 2s and so on. Some of them were so „hot“, they were nearly untrackable at their time.
The Scheherazade is a very critical record (even the Reissue), the violins have extremely high frequencies and are amplified in 2 stages. I am sure, most tweeters will go into clipping when you will hear this record loud. Then the high frquencies sound „compressed“. But this has nothing to do with the mastering itself. It is the way it is. A hot record.

Chesky

The made 3 channels into 2, this gives a deeper soundstage and a more defined „focus“ left and right side from the middle. But this records sounds dry, you can‘t hear (of feel) the moved air which was caught from the microphones. This is more an audiophile Pressing than an illusion of being a part of thePresentation.

EMI
EMI was not among those companies who pushed the curtain in recording sessions. EMI made excellent recordings BUT they had no „Espit“. They had no ambition to try where the limit is. They had order to stay 18 dB below the maximum. No EMI records has a higher Dynamic than 40dB!
Back to their Scheherazade, this is a nice sounding one. Good dynamics, a powerful Bass, when you listen to it, you will be impressed, a good demo disc for most stereo Systems. Most of their records were made in the Abbey Road Studios, only very few were made in Kingsway Hall. One reason for a good, but in a way degraded Presentation.
But why do they sound good even with all these limits? Their secrets were the used microphones and how they made the fixings. The made the Sound more concentrated, with a bigger distance between the Listener and the Orchestra, and they reduced the distance of the Instrument groups. The result is a powerful presentation for the Listener.

But RCA had a total different Philosophy, they wanted to go into the Session, very difficult to do, but with a Stereo System which can handle those dynamics, the Listener is in the Position above the concert and can „see“ into it.