Nirvana pressings

Anyone done careful comparisons of different nirvana pressings? Are the new elusive disc pressings better than original pressings? I have the simply vinyl geffen 180gm uk pressing with the gold label sticker and it sounds very good but i am wondering if something out there might be even better? Probably looking for a pressing that captures the "dirt" of their sound. Something not "overproduced" maybe...
vertigo
I've been thinking of picking up the Bernie Grundman-mastered reissues put out by ORG, but I haven't. My only other ORG record(TV on the Radio's "Return to Cookie Mountain") is great. Great sonics, great pressing. I think that's mastered by Chris Bellman at Grundman's mastering place. Anyway, I'd be pretty surprised if the ORG Nirvana records weren't good.
Well, bernie is getting on in years. They say hearing starts dropping off naturally at 40. Plus I'm not sure i'm a big fan of the tannoy speakers he mixes with. Cant remember if they are old or new or golds or something. I think i'll get an original nevermind lp and compare it with what i've got.

Sometimes 180g records can sound too damped? it can depend on the genre of music. For example bob dylans live 66 sounds very wonderful to me. Quiet lp, harmonica sounding out of a pretty blackness, you hear the hall and its so fresh and supple.

I have experienced 120gm lps that sound great too, sometimes i imagine because they are thinner and less damped they can come across as more energetic or lively or something, maybe someone knows what i mean, then you hear the same lp on 180 and its too prettied up or something.

Sometimes they'res nothing like a original. Just hear it the way it was released and enjoy.

My experience has been that for the most part 1st pressings of the music from the artists country of origin are the best.

For me uk and usa do the best job of pressing records. Japan is good too but i think theyre reputation is a bit overhyped. A bit...!

Mastering in one system then listening in your own is a very slippery endeavor. Results will vary i'm sure.

With that said....any hardcore fans out there who can comment?

I feel so sorry for cobain. I wish he could have found a happy family life with his daughter and worked things out with courtney love. Pain and drugs are a deadly mix. Such a tragedy that in this day and age that he saw no alternative. I think he was a pretty good guy with some problems thats all.

He had artistic success, money, a daughter, a wife, he was peaking in his career...damn those drugs!

shame...
I have the ORG pressings and they are very good. There is a review of these on "The Audio Beat" web site I believe.
Thanks stickman451. I read those reviews.

I'm confident they ORG reissues will sound good but would still be curious to see if someone preferred the originals to them. I dont expect any definitive conclusions but would like to hear some discussion on it maybe. Any big nirvana fans out there who just had to know and made some comparisons?

Listening to nirvana unplugged new york dvd sounds amazing too! Its such a sparse arrangement that it comes through sounding so clear and fresh, when i watch it in the dark, through my system...i really feel like i'm there! the visual plus the sound combined make it spellbindingly good!

I'm guessing that maybe "bleach" could be improved on in a re release [because it was done with a small budget] but those other originals, it might come pretty close because those were pretty big budget processes that spawned those pressings and the tapes were super fresh, they must be quite good already. I'm sure theyre both very good and more importantly the music on them is so good!

I've heard from people who have one copy anyone have the two?
I have the standard US pressing of Nevermind and also the Mofi one.

Both are good, however the US pressing captures the grunge essence better.

save some $$ and buy an original US pressing