What defines a good tonearm

I'm in the market for a very good tonearm as an upgrade from an SME 345 (309). Most of the tonearms I have used in the past are fixed bearing except for my Grace 704 unipivot. I dont have a problem with the "wobble" of a unipivot, and they seem the simplest to build, so if they are generally at least as good as a fixed pivot, why wouldnt everyone use a unipivot and put their efforts into developing easier vta, azimuth and vtf adjustments, and better arm materials. Or is there some inherent benefit to fixed pivot that makes them worth the extra effort to design and manufacture
manitunc
Dear Lewm On high-end always is more easy to talk on subjective terms:
what can you argue when some one tell: I like it?, yes you can argue whatever but that " I like it " is the discussion " end ".

This subjective attitude hide the " audio cancer " and no one want to know which kind of cancer already has.

Instead, when we put some touch of objectivity we can show to other persons why he is wrong or why he is right too and even why agree with.
I'm not in favor of " pure objective " against " pure subjective " attitude but a mix of both but with good objective foundation.

Even in objective terms always exist " the best " and no one want to know that what they own are far from be the best even if they think is the best because what they paid for it or for whatever reason.
So the people feel " comfortable " when no one can " touch " their audio systems subjectivity " affair " protect them or at least that is what some thinked about.

Lewm, that's why many people have " problems " with my opinions when I " naked " their systems and when I did that I did it not to show/exhibit the audio system but for the people understand where in reality are seated and through the time could take a " better "/alternative road, I always try to help and many times we have to put " the finger where it hurts ".

Btw, people said that in subjective terms " the best " does not exist I support that exist that " the best " is there although the explanation is not only wide but needs absolute " open mind " to discuss about.

Yes on your questions about cartridge compliance issue.

And, unfortunatelly, the beat goes on!!!!!

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
I posted:
+++ " It helps that we use a R2R as reference/comparison?, certainly yes ... " +++

I think I was plain wrong, certainly does not helps because a important part of the LP recording process is not on the tape, example: RIAA eq de-emphasis, cutting lathe amplifier added distortions to the process, vinyl pressing and the like.
For we can know what we are loosing through playback LP on an analog rig we need to differentiate between these two 2 stages " after the tape information.

Yes, a R2R give us a picture of what is the sound with out those two stages process where signal is heavy degraded.

So, IMHO that kind of comparison: R2R against LP playback at home is more " academic/retoric " than a useful one tool.

raul.
Hello Lewm....I must agree on the air bearing linear arms...they sound funny to me never liked them much...Now the old rabco (when working correctly) and the much newer pioneer's pl l1000a's arm is fabulous...uses a linear motor for arm movement the arm also uses a graphite composite arm tube and dissipates cartridge energy via high mass structure now that was engineering IMMHO
Dear Atmasphere: +++++ " I'm just trying to get the LPs to sound as close to the master as I can. " +++++

well, IMHO the best you can do it is to be nearest to what is on the LP grooves that in the records you produce/produced you know what is what is on the LP grooves and this advantage you have help to fine tunning your system on that regard.

Raul.
For the ones as me that don't produce records/LP the way to go and critical issue is what Syntax pointed out:
+++ " System and with what kind of records (with Diana Krall for example it is not really easy to rate something)..." ++++

the choice of those recordings ( analog ) is vital for those comparisons, master tapes are useles on this regard.

Now, if what we are testing/under bench are audio items not related to our analog rig the IMHO digital source ( native DVDA/SACD recordings. ) is a great choice and even better than analog master tapes ( R2R ).

Raul.