Any copyright lawyers lurking?

This is a question regarding the personal recording of vinyl to digital. I believe it was tested in the courts and upheld whereby an individual could record vinyl (at the time to tape). What is the consensus on the legality to record vinyl to digital. Ok, that question is likely a simple yes, it is ok. Here's the real question I'm getting to: let's say I record a perfect vinyl album (some of these could include super high quality 45 rpm remasters) to DSD at the highest quality possible, may I share it legally with a friend whom I am absolutely certain owns a legal copy (whether CD or Vinyl) of the material?

Thanks in advance for the discussion.
ghasley
I think the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is supposed to cover more modern techniques available. A lot on Google about it. From what I remember, you can make a digital copy for yourself. When I bought my CD recorders, and they let you make a bit perfect copy for yourself. Those recorders use CD-R music discs, and a digital copy cannot be made from it. They have a copy guard. Commercial recorders don't! These use the standard CD-R data discs that are cheaper (no copy-guard), and a digital copy can be made from it (copy of a copy) in digital I believe. We pay more for the CD-R music with copy-guard too. Giving it away may be risky. Money made makes it a nightmare for you. I wouldn't give any away myself. They may still be litigating over defining the laws. Play it safe. I'm not a lawyer. Now they want us to download it for direct profit, and if your harddrive goes bad, mechanical or solid state, they get to sell you everything again. Stockpile. Turn into a CD/record hoarder. LOL. Play it safe. I'm not a lawyer, and may be crazy.
the original cd recorders did not have copy guard. I use an older Sony to record my vinyl to for use in the car and to transfer to Itunes and can make as many copies as I like.
Manitunc,what is the model number of your Sony recorder? Can it us CD-R data discs? All of mine require CD-R music. It would be nice to use regular CD-R's. Mine will make extra copies, but a copy made off of the first copy gives me an analog transfer. If I would stick the copy in my Pioneer, I get an analog copy also. Same with the Philips. Then they had a commercial (Marantz?) that could do it without copy guard all day long. If someone wanted to bootleg them, this would be ideal. And may be heavier built, to make a bootlegger happier. The Sony gives a real decent A/D converter in it. No need for an outboard A/D with it. Better that the other two, and a Denon I tried. They are great for the car, and changer in the bedroom. Thanks.